Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quirky things you do

1. Aug 27, 2011 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

We all have quirks. One of mine is when I read a book that turns out to be really good, I don't want it to end, so I read less and less every day as I near the end, sometimes I put the book away for months, not wanting to finish it. :blushing:

I'm in that quandry right now, I've been reading an excellent book, and I'm stretching it out to the point that it is ridiculous.

I know people that will only eat food on their plate in a certain order, or eat a sandwich a certain way, or disect their food.

So, what quirky things do you do?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2011 #2
    I bark and growl at the mailman.

4. Aug 27, 2011 #3

Borek

I count everything. I am also checking if number of syllables in a phrase I hear or read is divided by 4.

5. Aug 27, 2011 #4
    Whenever I eat french fries that need ketchup, I put a thin line of ketchup on each fry. I never really paid attention to the difference of doing this until I did it around friends and they started laughing.

6. Aug 27, 2011 #5
    Do you chase after him?

For me it's Anime...

Then I realize if you hold out and not watch it for a while, you forget things and it becomes bad.

So finish the damn book before you forget everything and you start to think it's bad.

7. Aug 27, 2011 #6
    Oh yes I do a bit of this also...mostly in public places if I am waiting lol I count all of the tiles going along each side of the room and multiply them to get the area...I do the same with ceiling tiles, I also count the amt of chairs, the #of people, the #of doors, air conditioning vents...and the insanity continues....lol

Edit:
    I just remembered that I do this at home also...each horizontal blind, etc.

8. Aug 27, 2011 #7

S_Happens

Gold Member

I had to reread the 2 year old locked version of this thread as soon as I saw the title...

9. Aug 27, 2011 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Whenever I'm in the train, I take the prime factorization of the wagon number. They turn out to be mostly prime...

10. Aug 27, 2011 #9

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Just about everything I do is quirky.

I discovered long ago that no matter how loud I made my alarm clocks, I would sleep through them. Then one day I discovered that a lamp on a timer will wake me almost instantly. I've been using a lamp alarm clock for almost 20 years now.

I sleep on a camping inflatable air mattress at home, because I'm too lazy to buy a real one. It comes in handy when I want to go camping, as I just deflate it, and roll up the sheets, blankets, and pillow, in the mattress, and throw it in the truck.

I always wear black on Monday. I even have black underwear. I hate Mondays.

I still fold my t-shirts the way they taught us in the Navy. Thin-thick-thick-thin.

I won't discuss my driving quirks, as I'm sure that would just start a fight. o:)

11. Aug 27, 2011 #10

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you ever considered reading the book twice, instead of trying to draw it out? :tongue:

12. Aug 27, 2011 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I don't wear shorts. Ever.

13. Aug 27, 2011 #12

Astronuc

I'm never quirky, but I do read multiple books concurrently. Well, I used to eat an even number of sandwiches, crackers or cookies, but I gave that up.

I pretty much eat anything and everything. Usually, at a meal, I finish before anyone else. I was taught to clean my plate. My mom was a bit perturb that I licked my plate clean. :biggrin:

14. Aug 27, 2011 #13

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right now, I'm trying to resist the urge to go for a stroll around my block in the leading rains of Irene. I probably would if it wasn't actually fairly warm out. I did do that for Katrina. :smile:

(No need to worry about my safety -- the high winds are still a ways off)

15. Aug 27, 2011 #14
    I don't read books, but when I do read something - magazines, news articles, etc., I always read them backwards. Usually by paragraphs, but I can also read sentences backwards word-by-word and still make sense of things, and read at a normal speed that way.

16. Aug 27, 2011 #15

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

I scribble equations, thoughts, anything on every piece of paper lying around...

17. Aug 27, 2011 #16

rhody

Gold Member

Eww... too much information Pengy... and I doubt you are telling the truth, hehe...

I read and reread books that I really like, the Doidge book, "Brain that Changes Itself" comes to mind. I have read it cover to cover four times, after a short pause, and I even redlined it, a first for me, the wretched thing is falling apart. I also read James Gleck's "Genius, the Life and Times of Richard Feynman" at least 5 times over a number of years. I am on my third copy. I lost my first two, having lent them to others who never returned them.

Rhody...

18. Aug 27, 2011 #17

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Whenever someone does a calculation out loud, I automatically do the calculation myself.
    I have been wondering if that is typical for mathematicians and/or physicists....

I've learned though not to tell people my result, even if theirs is wrong (as long as it's not important anyway).
    Somehow people that know me automatically ask for my confirmation anyway.

19. Aug 27, 2011 #18

Evo

Maybe Peng meant shorts and not underwear?

20. Aug 27, 2011 #19
    Maybe but it still takes you there:uhh: TMI peng peng :biggrin:

21. Aug 27, 2011 #20
    Maybe he wears diapers then

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook