Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quit my Job

1. Aug 20, 2011 #1

S_Happens

Gold Member

I turned in my letter of resignation yesterday and two weeks from tomorrow I'll be unemployed.

I quit to go back to school full time. I posted a related topic back in January, but I was able to work through the semester and take the two classes. I did well, worked all summer, and got accepted into the ME program. My classes start on Monday and I have 6 semesters to go.

I'm both excited about the opportunity and anxious about leaving a very secure job that I actually enjoy quite a bit. That said, the job isn't all gravy and I won't ever have a better opportunity to go back, so I'm taking it. I worked hard for the past 4.5 years to make this possible and I know there's still a lot of hard work ahead of me (albeit quite different).

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2011 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Good luck S!

4. Aug 20, 2011 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    Insights Author

I hope you enjoy your studies S!! What are you going to study?

5. Aug 20, 2011 #4

S_Happens

Gold Member

Mechanical Engineering

6. Aug 20, 2011 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    Insights Author

Ah, that explains the ME in your post :biggrin:
    Have fun with it!

7. Aug 20, 2011 #6
    It is never easy to leave a secure job, but I know you have made a major step forward in your life! No regrets! Have fun!

8. Aug 20, 2011 #7
    It's a difficult step in the right direction, congratulations, now you have the momentum, let it carry you far. Good luck!

9. Aug 20, 2011 #8

Astronuc

Best wishes and good luck with your academic pursuits!

10. Aug 20, 2011 #9
    Good luck! I've been contemplating the same idea here recently. Let me know how it goes. I have about 6-8 classes and I'll have my degree in ME. Easier said than done with working a huge amount of hours with no extra help at work. Best of luck! I know it will work out for you:)

11. Aug 21, 2011 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Good luck, S_Happens. It's unsettling to leave your comfort-zone, sometimes, but it is often necessary to your growth. I have been very fortunate to have a wife that is very supportive and who has faith in my abilities, so I've been able to job-hop freely in order to pursue the best jobs that were available to me.

12. Aug 21, 2011 #11

Borek

Good luck SH. Hard to achieve something without taking risks, I wish you it will pay off :biggrin:

13. Aug 21, 2011 #12
    I did the same thing a few years ago when I left my job to go to grad school full time. I don't regret it one bit.

14. Aug 21, 2011 #13
    Your previous job was?

15. Aug 21, 2011 #14

Astronuc

Good luck to you to, mck!

16. Aug 21, 2011 #15

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good luck S!

17. Aug 21, 2011 #16
    Good luck!

Yesterday was my last day at my job. After working full time and taking 15 credits a semester for the past 4 semesters, I just can't do it anymore. Now I get to give my final year of undergrad my full attention.

18. Aug 21, 2011 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Soooo....can I have your old job :biggrin:?

19. Aug 21, 2011 #18
    Nice username but don't think of your situation like that. Sounds like you got a good plan.

20. Aug 21, 2011 #19

S_Happens

Gold Member

I am an operator in a chemical plant. I control/monitor a process used to make olefin (alkene) monomers used for making plastics as well as a few other things.

It's a play on the 2nd law of thermodynamics rather than a pessimistic statement.

It must be time to leave because this weekend I've been unable to access PF from work. :bugeye:

21. Aug 21, 2011 #20
    Thanks! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?