Leaving the Job and Starting a New Chapter

• Thread starter S_Happens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, S_ quit her job to go back to school full time and she is anxious about leaving her security job. She is excited about the opportunity to study more intensely and has high hopes for her future. Good luck, S!
S_Happens
Gold Member
I turned in my letter of resignation yesterday and two weeks from tomorrow I'll be unemployed.

I quit to go back to school full time. I posted a https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=464314" back in January, but I was able to work through the semester and take the two classes. I did well, worked all summer, and got accepted into the ME program. My classes start on Monday and I have 6 semesters to go.

I'm both excited about the opportunity and anxious about leaving a very secure job that I actually enjoy quite a bit. That said, the job isn't all gravy and I won't ever have a better opportunity to go back, so I'm taking it. I worked hard for the past 4.5 years to make this possible and I know there's still a lot of hard work ahead of me (albeit quite different).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Good luck S!

I hope you enjoy your studies S! What are you going to study?

Mechanical Engineering

Ah, that explains the ME in your post :biggrin:
Have fun with it!

It is never easy to leave a secure job, but I know you have made a major step forward in your life! No regrets! Have fun!

It's a difficult step in the right direction, congratulations, now you have the momentum, let it carry you far. Good luck!

S_Happens said:
I turned in my letter of resignation yesterday and two weeks from tomorrow I'll be unemployed.

I quit to go back to school full time. I posted a https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=464314" back in January, but I was able to work through the semester and take the two classes. I did well, worked all summer, and got accepted into the ME program. My classes start on Monday and I have 6 semesters to go.

I'm both excited about the opportunity and anxious about leaving a very secure job that I actually enjoy quite a bit. That said, the job isn't all gravy and I won't ever have a better opportunity to go back, so I'm taking it. I worked hard for the past 4.5 years to make this possible and I know there's still a lot of hard work ahead of me (albeit quite different).
Best wishes and good luck with your academic pursuits!

Good luck! I've been contemplating the same idea here recently. Let me know how it goes. I have about 6-8 classes and I'll have my degree in ME. Easier said than done with working a huge amount of hours with no extra help at work. Best of luck! I know it will work out for you:)

Good luck, S_Happens. It's unsettling to leave your comfort-zone, sometimes, but it is often necessary to your growth. I have been very fortunate to have a wife that is very supportive and who has faith in my abilities, so I've been able to job-hop freely in order to pursue the best jobs that were available to me.

Good luck SH. Hard to achieve something without taking risks, I wish you it will pay off :biggrin:

I did the same thing a few years ago when I left my job to go to grad school full time. I don't regret it one bit.

Your previous job was?

mcknia07 said:
Good luck! I've been contemplating the same idea here recently. Let me know how it goes. I have about 6-8 classes and I'll have my degree in ME. Easier said than done with working a huge amount of hours with no extra help at work. Best of luck! I know it will work out for you:)
Good luck to you to, mck!

Good luck S!

Good luck!

Yesterday was my last day at my job. After working full time and taking 15 credits a semester for the past 4 semesters, I just can't do it anymore. Now I get to give my final year of undergrad my full attention.

S_Happens said:

Soooo...can I have your old job :biggrin:?

Nice username but don't think of your situation like that. Sounds like you got a good plan.

flyingpig said:
Your previous job was?

I am an operator in a chemical plant. I control/monitor a process used to make olefin (alkene) monomers used for making plastics as well as a few other things.

WatermelonPig said:
Nice username but don't think of your situation like that. Sounds like you got a good plan.

It's a play on the 2nd law of thermodynamics rather than a pessimistic statement.

It must be time to leave because this weekend I've been unable to access PF from work. :bugeye:

Astronuc said:
Good luck to you to, mck!

Thanks! :)

Thanks for all the good wishes everyone. I'm packing up everything right now for the first day of class tomorrow.

mcknia07 said:

I'll keep you updated. For me I know this is the right way to go. I couldn't drag it out over many years, even if my schedule would allow it. Best of luck to you as well.

All the best S!

1. What are the benefits of leaving my current job and starting a new chapter?

Leaving your current job and starting a new chapter can bring a variety of benefits. It can give you the opportunity to pursue your passions, learn new skills, and challenge yourself in new ways. It can also improve your mental and emotional well-being by reducing stress and increasing job satisfaction.

2. How do I know it's the right time to leave my job and start something new?

The decision to leave your job and start something new is a personal one, but there are a few signs that may indicate it's the right time. These can include feeling unfulfilled or stagnant in your current job, a desire for change or growth, and having a solid plan and resources in place for your next step.

3. What steps should I take to prepare for leaving my job and starting a new chapter?

Preparing to leave your job and start a new chapter requires careful planning and consideration. Some steps you may want to take include saving money for a potential period of unemployment, updating your resume and networking, and researching potential job or career paths.

4. How can I overcome fear and uncertainty about leaving my job and starting something new?

It's natural to feel fear and uncertainty about leaving your job and starting something new. To overcome these feelings, it can be helpful to focus on the potential benefits and opportunities that await you, remind yourself of your strengths and skills, and seek support from friends, family, or a career coach.

5. How can I make a smooth transition from my old job to a new chapter?

Making a smooth transition from your old job to a new chapter requires careful planning and communication. It's important to give your employer appropriate notice, tie up any loose ends, and maintain positive relationships with colleagues. Additionally, be proactive in learning and adapting to your new role or career path.