Quitting Smoking, need advise from ex smokers

• Thread starter Memnoch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Advise
In summary, Memnoch recommends trying something else to take your mind off smoking, Memnoch recommends meditation, Nikola Tesla used to smoke and stopped because of the negative effects it had on his mental discipline, and finally, if you can afford it, Welbutrin is a useful medication for quitting smoking.
Memnoch
Hello all,
I'm really really trying hard to quit smoking. Everyone around me seems to have cancer now of various types and it's a constant reminder to quit. So, on my way home from a meeting I threw my pack out the window and decided to go cold turkey.
So, now it's been 1 hr since i haven't had a cigarette.
Does anyone have any advise for killing the withdrawls or easing the pain of the cravings?
I'm determined to quit this hellish habbit for I've seen too many of my loved ones pass from lung cancer and a few more on the way from various other cancers.
Advise is highly appreciated.
Kind Regards,
Memnoch

Physics news on Phys.org
Well i never smoked , but hey we all watch tv. Maybe you should try doing something that'll take your mind off smoking. Like when you feel that you need a cigarette , go watch tv or take a walk or do whatever just to forget the whole smoking thing. Now if you succeed with that for a month I am sure you'll be used to the idea and it will be easier for you then.

Best of luck.

btw that was a very wise choice to quit smoking. Not many people even thought of that with lung cancer spreading.

My brother and I always threw or hid our parents' cigarettes away. They stopped smoking soon after, so I guess it worked.

Maybe you should adopt some annoying little kids.

cookiemonster

snip some hair from a horse's tail and shove them into your cigarettes. Then smoke all you want.
It's so hard to quit, first off you need to get away from other smokers. I suggest getting addicted to something else. Maybe sunflower seeds, anything to keep you busy.
If possible put your self into a situation where you don't have a choice, ie jail or basic training. Ever been a felon?

Last edited:
Thanks for the advise guys. Yeah, it's pretty tough so far and thanks for the advise :)
Walks sund pretty good. Smoking promotes introversion eventually and walking is a way to thwart that.
-=|peace|=-

I say you meditate. That's what I always do when I'm trying to relax or something. (I don't smoke, but I'm sure mental descipline through meditation works.)
You know Nikola Tesla actually used to smoke, and suddenly stopped because he found out how bad it was. He really had mental descipline. He's my idol. Remember if he could do it, so could you.
good luck, never give up

Wow thanks, actually he's one of my most favorite scientists and inspirations and I actually didn't know he did that. lol
Thanks for the info :)
So far not a single smoke since I posted this article also. :)
-=|peace|=-

Keep it up! You can do it. It just takes deep concentration.

You know, (this is SO cool) Zen priests are able to control their bodies and emotions so well that they practice/strengthen their abilities of deep internal self control by actually putting a 500 pound + object on their hands. normally, it would cursh the hands of a human to do this. But they have mastered the art of self control to such an extent that it doesn't really do anything to them. So, self control is the key.

Good luck! keep up the good work!

If you can afford it, Welbutrin.

good luck...

23 attemps
23 failures

1. Why is it so hard to quit smoking?

There are a few reasons why quitting smoking can be difficult. Nicotine, the main ingredient in cigarettes, is highly addictive and can cause physical and psychological dependence. Additionally, smoking is often linked to habits and routines, making it challenging to break the cycle of lighting up. The withdrawal symptoms, such as irritability and cravings, can also make it challenging to quit. Quitting smoking requires a significant lifestyle change and can be a challenging process for many people.

2. What are some effective methods for quitting smoking?

There are several methods for quitting smoking, and the most effective approach varies from person to person. Some common methods include gradually reducing the number of cigarettes smoked each day, using nicotine replacement therapy, seeking support from a therapist or support group, and trying medication prescribed by a healthcare professional. It's essential to find the method that works best for you and to seek support and guidance throughout the process.

3. How long does it take to quit smoking?

The time it takes to quit smoking varies for each individual. Some people may quit cold turkey and never look back, while others may take multiple attempts before successfully quitting. It's essential to set realistic expectations and understand that quitting smoking is a process that takes time and effort. It's also crucial to have support and resources in place to help you stay on track and reach your goal of quitting for good.

4. Will I gain weight if I quit smoking?

Some people may experience weight gain after quitting smoking, but it's not a guarantee for everyone. Nicotine can suppress appetite, so when you stop smoking, you may notice an increase in hunger. However, there are ways to manage weight gain, such as incorporating physical activity into your routine and making healthy food choices. The benefits of quitting smoking far outweigh any potential weight gain, so it's essential to focus on the positive impact quitting will have on your overall health.

5. How can I avoid relapsing after quitting smoking?

Relapse is common when trying to quit smoking, but there are ways to prevent it. One of the most effective methods is to have a strong support system, whether it be friends, family, or a support group. It's also essential to identify your triggers and develop strategies to cope with them. Finding healthy ways to manage stress and cravings, such as exercise or deep breathing, can also help you avoid relapse. Remember that quitting smoking is a journey, and slip-ups may happen, but it's crucial to stay committed to your goal and keep moving forward.