Quiz question: Can you solve this natural number sum problem?

• Thread starter roger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quiz
In summary, the conversation is discussing a quiz question about finding the number of ways to write a natural number as the sum of smaller natural numbers. The question is incorrect as it asks to sum P(n) over n, which does not make sense. The corrected version is to sum P(n)x^n over n, which is a formal power series. The origin of the formula is attributed to Ramanujan. The conversation also touches on the importance of being precise in mathematical notation and the possibility of making mistakes.
roger
Hi,

I'm not sure how to tackle this quiz question I came across :

Let P(n) be the number of ways of writing a natural number n as the sum of smaller natural numbers eg. P(4)=5 as 4=4=3+1=2+2=2+1+1=1+1+1+1

I must show that the sigma P(n) = 1/(1-x)*1/(1-x^2)*1/(1-x^3)...

www.maths.bris.ac.uk/~maxmg/docs/problems.pdf[/URL]

In fact, I may not have even understood the problem, so here is the source where this came from.

thanks

Roger

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
i'm pleased someone at least will try some of those questions. the question is no harder than knowing why the binomial expansion (x+y)^n is correct.

Last edited:
I'm unclear about two things in that question.

1. What range is P(n) summed over.

2. What is x.

well it doesn't state it so I guess infinity.

The question is clearly wrong (I will correct the source). It is the coefficients you must find. ie

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}P(n)x^n[/tex]

not the sum over n of P(n) which makes no sense.

it is an exercise in formal power series.

Last edited:
matt, is that question linked to question 7 or is it a separate question ?

I also gave you a private message, I wanted to know the equation which governs p(n) ?

reread the question on the PDF. it obviously makes no sense since summing P(n) over n is adding up an infinite number of strictly positive integers, and the RHS is a formal power series in x. I have now given you the corrected left hand side. 'The formula' for P(n) (if there is a meaningful one, in n, that isn't simply a tautology) is of no importance.

I understand that its not relevant to this particular question , but it just got me thinking, if there was a way to prove the formula which I think was due to ramanujan of india.

And in what way is it a tautology ?

and why didnt you specify on the original what k and n summed up to or the product in the case of k ?

does this imply its infinite ?

sum is over all n, that is implicit and shouldn't need to be stated (the things on the other side of the equation are obviously infinitely long power series). i may be breaking the rules in your opinion, but i am allowed to since i know what the rules are and i'd expect anyone doing the question to be able to work out what it meant. in any case i can't recall exactly what i did use as notation, but mistakes do happen, as we have seen. it might be good for you to bear in mind that writing maths (and other things) is hard and will often produce mistakes that you don't notice. sorry, will try harder to be infallible next time. (and no this isn't taking criticism badly this is me going 'well of course it means that, what else could it mean? grr, where has common sense gotten to these days?')

Last edited:

1. What is a natural number sum problem?

A natural number sum problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the sum of a sequence of natural numbers. Natural numbers are positive integers (1, 2, 3, etc.) and the sum is the result of adding all of these numbers together.

2. How do you solve a natural number sum problem?

To solve a natural number sum problem, you need to follow these steps:

• Identify the sequence of natural numbers given in the problem.
  • Add all of the numbers in the sequence together.
  • The result is the sum of the natural numbers.

3. What is the formula for finding the sum of natural numbers?

The formula for finding the sum of natural numbers is: n(n+1)/2, where n is the last number in the sequence. For example, if the sequence is 1, 2, 3, the formula would be 3(3+1)/2 = 6.

4. Can all natural number sum problems be solved using the same method?

Yes, all natural number sum problems can be solved using the same method of adding the numbers in the sequence together. However, the formula mentioned in question 3 can make the process faster and more efficient.

5. Are there any tips for solving natural number sum problems faster?

Apart from using the formula, there are a few tips that can help solve natural number sum problems faster:

• Be familiar with basic addition and multiplication tables.
  • Look for patterns in the sequence of numbers given.
  • Start from the largest or smallest number in the sequence to simplify the process.