Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quotation about topolgy

1. Sep 20, 2010 #1
    Can anyone tell me a good quotation about topology?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2010 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"In these days the angel of topology and the devil of abstract algebra fight for the soul of every individual discipline of mathematics." Hermann Weyl.

4. Sep 20, 2010 #3
    This is interesting, but I need another one, for which the subject is just about topology.

5. Sep 20, 2010 #4
    http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/topology.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Sep 21, 2010 #5
    I found this, but this is true in any situation (for example BH formation)?

"In Einstein's general relativity the structure of space can change but not its topology. Topology is the property of something that doesn't change when you bend it or stretch it as long as you don't break anything."
    (Edward Witten)

And what about the Plank scale?

7. Sep 21, 2010 #6
    Ed Whitten? Try quoting someone smart!

8. Sep 26, 2010 #7
    I don't understand this one:

A geometry implies the heterogeneity of locus, namely that there is a locus of the Other. Regarding this locus of the Other, of one sex as Other, as absolute Other, what does the most recent development in topology allow us to posit?

(Jacques Lacan)

9. Sep 26, 2010 #8

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is a delicious quote at the beginning of each chapter of Glen Bredon's book "Topology and Geometry". Here is a good one. It is Leibniz talking about topology before topology:

"I believe that we lack another analysis properly geometric or linear which expresses location directly as algebra expresses magnitude." -- Leibniz, 1679, Letter to Huygens

Here is one by Mark Twain:

"A round man cannot be expected to fit in a square hole right away. He must have time to modify his shape." -- Mark Twain

Who has another good one?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook