Counting Counter Quotes: Reasonable vs Unreasonable & Confucianism

CQ: Happiness is only real when shared. - Christopher McCandlessIn summary, the conversation discusses the idea of counter quotes, where a quote is countered with another quote that presents an opposing viewpoint. The conversation also suggests turning this into a game. Some examples of counter quotes include "Nice guys finish last," "The weed that stands out is the one that gets knocked down first," and "Silence is golden." The conversation also touches on the creation of new proverbs and the idea that some proverbs have no opposite.
Lisa! said:
Wow! That 1 is great!:smile:
He who laughs last thinks slowest!:redface:

:rofl: :rofl: how many physicists does it take to screw in a light bulb

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
cq: no man is an island

q: The direction in which education starts a man will determine his future life. The Republic, bk. IV, 425 – B

CQ: Let early education be a sort of amusement you will then be better able to find out the natural bent. Plato, The Republic, Bk I, 537.

(Hmm...seems Plato contradicted himself :rofl:)

Q: A great step towards independence is a good-humored stomach, one that is willing to endure rough treatment. Seneca, Epistles 123, 3.

Moonbear said:
Q: A great step towards independence is a good-humored stomach, one that is willing to endure rough treatment. Seneca, Epistles 123, 3.

CQ: He will never have true friends who is afraid of making enemies

Q: If a man insisted always on being serious, and never allowed himself a bit of fun and relaxation, he would go mad or become unstable without knowing it. -- The Histories of Herodotus, bk. II, ch. 173

---modern: All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Ivan Seeking said:
CQ: He will never have true friends who is afraid of making enemies

Q: If a man insisted always on being serious, and never allowed himself a bit of fun and relaxation, he would go mad or become unstable without knowing it. -- The Histories of Herodotus, bk. II, ch. 173

---modern: All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

CQ: I don't like work--no man does, but I like what is in the work, the chance to find yourself. -- Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

Q: "Through error you come to the truth! I am a man because I err! You never reach any truth without making fourteen mistakes and very likely a hundred and fourteen." -- Fyodor Dostoevsky, Crime and Punishment

Ivan Seeking said:
Together we stand, divided we fall.
CQ:Neither a man nor a crowd nor a nation can be trusted to act humanely or to think sanely under the influence of a great fear.”
or
No crowd ever waited at the gates of patience.

I prefer: "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"
www.despair.com forever!

"with friends like that who needs enemies"

franznietzsche said:
CQ: I don't like work--no man does, but I like what is in the work, the chance to find yourself. -- Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

Q: "Through error you come to the truth! I am a man because I err! You never reach any truth without making fourteen mistakes and very likely a hundred and fourteen." -- Fyodor Dostoevsky, Crime and Punishment

cq: “The error of one moment becomes the sorrow of a whole life” - chinese proverb

q: If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error - John Kenneth Galbraith

Ivan Seeking said:
cq: “The error of one moment becomes the sorrow of a whole life” - chinese proverb

q: If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error - John Kenneth Galbraith

cq:The tyrant has fallen Iraq is free.....:rofl: Proof of the Galbraith Quote.
George W Bush

Q: There are two kinds of light--the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

Last edited:
edward said:
cq:The tyrant has fallen Iraq is free.....:rofl: Proof of the Galbraith Quote.
George W Bush

Q: There are two kinds of light--the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

CQ: In the beginning there was nothing. God said, "Let there be light!" And there was light. There was still nothing, but you could see it a whole lot better. ~Ellen DeGeneres

Q: "The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to such a pass that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love, and in order to occupy and distract himself without love he gives way to passions and coarse pleasures, and sinks to bestiality in his vices, all from continual lying to other men and to himself." -- Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

franznietzsche said:
CQ: In the beginning there was nothing. God said, "Let there be light!" And there was light. There was still nothing, but you could see it a whole lot better. ~Ellen DeGeneres

Q: "The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to such a pass that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love, and in order to occupy and distract himself without love he gives way to passions and coarse pleasures, and sinks to bestiality in his vices, all from continual lying to other men and to himself." -- Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

CQ:Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods. - Albert Einstein

Q: Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind - Albert Einstein

Ivan Seeking said:
CQ:Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods. - Albert Einstein

Q: Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind - Albert Einstein

CQ: "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Q: He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Friedrich Nietzsche

CQ: The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Eistein

Q: The sad truth is that most evil is done by people who never make up their minds to be good or evil - Hannah Arendt.

when you dance with the devil it's not the devil who changes.

light_bulb said:
when you dance with the devil it's not the devil who changes.

cq:We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell - Oscar Wilde

q: 2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2. - Grabel's law

life is what you make it.

Ivan Seeking said:
cq:We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell - Oscar Wilde

q: 2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2. - Grabel's law

CQ: Two rights don't make a wrong, but three makes a left.

Q:I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability.
Oscar Wilde

are these motd's? :rolleyes: just wondering.