Capitalization of Quotes: Does It Matter?

• Bug
  • Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
In summary, the discussion is about whether quotes should keep the capitalization of the quoted text. The original poster noticed that when they quoted someone in the general forum, the capitalization of two words was removed. Another user explains that the engine is sensitive and does not allow posts to be in all caps, and suggests that this may be the reason for the removed capitalization. The original poster wonders if this applies to entire posts or just words in all caps. Another user points out that formatting can be lost when quoting, but it was not the case for the same post that the original poster quoted. The conversation ends with confusion over the issue.
Drakkith
Mentor
Just wondering if a quote should keep the capitalization of the quoted text. I just quoted someone in the general forum and it got rid of the capitalization of two words. (All letters were in caps)

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't post in caps alone, the engine is a little bit too sensitive sometimes. For example it doesn't allow chemical formulas like KOH. I guess that's the same problem.

What do you mean? Like you can't put an entire post in caps? Or you can't quote words that are fully in caps?

You can't put an entire post in caps (try). But perhaps for some reason the engine modified the quote as it was entire post or something like that. Or perhaps it analyses the quotes separately.

I've noticed that certain formatting is lost when you quote, but I quoted the same post as you and the caps remained.

Evo said:
I've noticed that certain formatting is lost when you quote, but I quoted the same post as you and the caps remained.

Odd...

Drakkith said:
Just wondering if a quote should keep the capitalization of the quoted text. I just quoted someone in the general forum and it got rid of the capitalization of two words. (All letters were in caps)

I noticed this a while ago, and still haven't figured out what's going on. It even happens within words (see link below). :confused:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3649116&postcount=37

1. Why is capitalization of quotes important in scientific writing?

The proper capitalization of quotes is important in scientific writing for two main reasons. First, it maintains consistency and uniformity in your writing, which makes it easier for readers to follow and understand your ideas. Second, it shows respect for the work and ideas of others, as incorrect capitalization can be seen as careless or disrespectful.

2. When should I capitalize quotes in my writing?

In general, quotes should be capitalized at the beginning of a sentence or after a colon. However, if the quote is a continuation of a sentence, only the first word should be capitalized. Additionally, if the quote is a question or exclamation, the first word should be capitalized regardless of its placement in the sentence.

3. What if the quote I am using is not a complete sentence?

If the quote is not a complete sentence, you should capitalize the first word and any proper nouns or proper adjectives within the quote. For example, "According to Dr. Smith, the results were 'inconclusive'."

4. Do I need to capitalize quotes in my references or citations?

No, you do not need to capitalize quotes in your references or citations. The proper formatting for references and citations should follow the specific style guide you are using, such as APA or MLA.

5. Is it ever acceptable to change the capitalization of a quote?

If you need to change the capitalization of a quote for grammatical reasons, such as to fit the quote into your sentence, you can use brackets to indicate the change. For example, "According to Dr. Smith, the results were [inconclusive]." However, if you are making changes for stylistic or personal preference, it is best to use the original capitalization of the quote and include a note explaining the change in your writing.