1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quotient groups Q/Z and R/Q

1. Jan 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that every element of the quotient group [tex]\mathbb{Q}/\mathbb{Z}[/tex] has finite order but that only the identity element of [tex]\mathbb{R}/\mathbb{Q}[/tex] has finite order.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The first part of the question I solved. Since each element of [tex]\mathbb{Q}/\mathbb{Z}[/tex] is of the form [tex]\mathbb{Z}+\frac{r}{s}[/tex] if we add this element s times to itself, we get all [tex]\mathbb{Z}[/tex] back, since [tex]s\frac{r}{s}=r[/tex]. But for the second part of the question I have no clue... Can anyone hint me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so a nonidentity element of R/Q has the form Q+r, where r is irrational. What would be wrong with n*(Q+r)=Q?

4. Jan 14, 2010 #3
    n*(Q+r)=n*r+Q since Q is normal. has it got something to do with the fact that for p=prime 1/p cannot be written as the sum of two rationals?

5. Jan 14, 2010 #4
    oh no... 1/7=1/14+1/14

6. Jan 14, 2010 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If x+Q=Q what can you say about x? This has nothing to do with primes.

7. Jan 14, 2010 #6
    If x is not Q, then this can never be true, since the sum of a non-rational and a rational number is non-rational.

If x is in Q then x+Q = Q since for each element q in Q there exists an element q-x in Q which gives x+q-x=q, and each element in x+Q is in Q.

x must be a rational.

8. Jan 14, 2010 #7
    The only thing confusing me a little from the beginning is that if we have a nonidentity element of R/Q it has to have the form Q+r where r is irrational. Does r have to be irrational because Q is the identity of R/Q?

9. Jan 14, 2010 #8
    I get it now! If x+Q=Q, x must be rational. Therefore, a nonidentity element of R/Q has the form Q+r where r is irrational. Now if n*(Q+r)=Q, n*r+Q=Q and n*r is rational. But this cannot be the case since r is irrational, and we have a contradiction, and a nonidentity element of R/Q does not have finite order.
    Thanks for the hints ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook