Quotient set of equivalence class in de Rham cohomology

In summary, the conversation discusses the equivalence class X/\sim and its relation to the usual quotient operation. The de Rham cohomology group H^k is also mentioned and it is defined as Z^k/B^k or {z + B^k | z \in Z^k}. However, there is confusion about the inclusion of the equivalence relation \sim and how it relates to the equivalence classes. The possibility of defining the equivalence classes by their specific dw is also suggested.
ianhoolihan
Hi all,

So the equivalence class [itex]X/\sim[/itex] is the set of all equivalences classes [itex][x][/itex]. I was wondering if there was a way of writing it in terms of the usual quotient operation:
[tex]G/N=\{gN\ |\ g\in G\}?[/tex]

From what I've read, it would be something like [itex]X/\sim = X/[e][/itex]. But, since I'm looking at the de Rham cohomology group [itex]H^k = \{ closed\ k\ forms\}/\sim[/itex] so
[tex]H^k = \{ closed\ k\ forms\}/[0] = \{ \omega [0]\ |\ \omega\ is\ a\ closed\ form\}[/tex]
doesn't work, as the the operation [itex]\omega [0][/itex] doesn't seem to make sense.

It's also defined [itex]H^k = Z^k/B^k[/itex] if you're familiar with that notation.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ideas anyone?

Quotients of vector spaces can be written E/F = {x+F | x∈E} as the group law involved in such quotients is the law of vector addition.
Any problem ?

spoirier said:
Quotients of vector spaces can be written E/F = {x+F | x∈E} as the group law involved in such quotients is the law of vector addition.
Any problem ?

Yes, still a problem. First, [itex]B^k = [0] [/itex], which I should have mentioned before. Second, by your definition
[tex] H^k = Z^k/B^k = \{z + B^k\ |\ z\in Z^k\} [/tex]

But this appears to me to include no information about the equivalence relation [itex]\sim[/itex], which states that [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] are equivalent if there exists some [itex]w[/itex] such that [itex]u - v = dw[/itex].

Ok, but since each equivalence class can be defined by its specific [itex]dw[/itex] (and [itex]d[/itex] is a unique (one-to-one?) map) then it is defined by its [itex]w[/itex]. Hence it makes more sense that
[tex] H^k = Z^k/B^k = \{z - B^k\ |\ z\in Z^k\}. [/tex]

If [itex]z - b = dw[/itex], then [itex]z= d(w+a)[/itex] since [itex]b=da \in B^k[/itex], which also implies that [itex]z\in B^k[/itex]. But what if there is no [itex]w[/itex] such that [itex]z-b = dw[/itex]? How does this give the rest of the equivalence classes?

,Hi there,

In de Rham cohomology, the quotient set of equivalence classes is typically written as H^k = Z^k/B^k, where Z^k represents the set of closed k-forms and B^k represents the set of exact k-forms. This notation is used because the equivalence classes in this context are defined by the relationship [x] = [y] if and only if x-y is an exact k-form.

In terms of the usual quotient operation, it would be written as H^k = Z^k/[0], where [0] represents the set of all exact k-forms. This is because an exact k-form can be written as the difference of two closed k-forms, and thus is equivalent to the zero element in the quotient set.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work in your studies of de Rham cohomology!

1. What is a quotient set in de Rham cohomology?

A quotient set, also known as a factor set, is a set of equivalence classes that are formed by dividing a larger set by an equivalence relation. In de Rham cohomology, the quotient set is formed by dividing the space of closed differential forms by the space of exact differential forms.

2. What are equivalence classes in de Rham cohomology?

Equivalence classes in de Rham cohomology are sets of closed differential forms that are considered equivalent because they differ by an exact form. This means that they represent the same cohomology class and have the same cohomology group.

3. How are equivalence classes determined in de Rham cohomology?

Equivalence classes in de Rham cohomology are determined by the differential forms that represent them. If two forms differ by an exact form, they are considered equivalent and belong to the same equivalence class.

4. What is the significance of the quotient set in de Rham cohomology?

The quotient set in de Rham cohomology is important because it helps to understand the structure and properties of the cohomology groups. It also allows for the comparison and classification of differential forms based on their equivalence classes.

5. How is the quotient set used in practical applications?

The quotient set in de Rham cohomology has many practical applications, especially in the study of geometric structures and topology. It is used to classify manifolds, calculate integrals, and prove theorems in differential geometry and topology.