Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quotient space explanation

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    I'm having some troubles understanding the concepts of quotient algebra.
    May someone explain me what exactly they are, giving some concrete examples?

I know that a quotient set is the set of all equivalence classes, but it sounds very vague for me and i can't make the analogy with quotient spaces, or quotient groups.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2

Deveno

Science Advisor

what do you mean by "quotient algebra"? there are different kinds of algebras:

1. universal algebras (defined by a set and a signature of arity, and identities involving n-ary operations, etc.)
    2. associative algebras (vector spaces with an associative ring structure).

4. Dec 6, 2011 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If A is an algebra and I is an ideal in A, the quotient algebra A/I is defined in the following way. Define a relation ~ on A by saying that x~y if x-y is a member of I. It's easy to show that ~ is an equivalence relation. The equivalence class that contains x is denoted by x+I. The set of all equivalence classes is given the structure of an algebra by the definitions

(x+I)+(y+I)=(x+y)+I
    a(x+I)=(ax)+I
    (x+I)(y+I)=xy+I

5. Dec 7, 2011 #4

Deveno

Science Advisor

yes, that follows by definition 2. in the algebras of type 1, you generally don't have ideals, but rather congruences. i was asking "which" definition of algebra he meant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook