1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quotient Theorem (Tensors)

1. Apr 23, 2009 #1
    Prove that [itex]b_{ijkl}=\int_{r<a} dV x_i x_j \frac{\partial^2}{\partial_k \partial_l} (\frac{1}{r})[/itex] where [itex]r=|x|[/itex] is a 4th rank tensor.

i've had a couple of bashes and got nowhere other than to establish that its quotient theorem.

can i just pick a tensor of rank 3 to multiply it with or something?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hmm … do you mean …

4. Apr 23, 2009 #3
    yep.

5. Apr 2, 2011 #4
    I have no idea how to solve this too, can you give me some idea please?

6. Apr 2, 2011 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi nhanle! welcome to pf! :wink:

ok, what is the test for something being a tensor? :smile:

7. Apr 4, 2011 #6
    hi tiny-tim,
    thank you for your reply. This is how vague the definition of tensor I am holding at the moment.
    I am also confused about the Affine connection. Can you help me clarify this?

Thank you

8. Apr 4, 2011 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

?? :confused:

i'm not going to type out a lecture on tensors and connections :redface:

please go back to your book or your lecture notes, and read up about tensors

9. Apr 5, 2011 #8
    those appears on my lecture notes and also my book (general relativity - M.P.Hobson, G. Efstathiou, A.N. Lasenby) with very vague definitions.

From my understanding, if one is to be a rank N-tensor, it should expect to have N derivative summations under coordinate transformation. Is that right?

10. Apr 5, 2011 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

does your book show why the Christoffel symbols aren't tensors?

if so, that should show you how to do it :smile:

11. Apr 5, 2011 #10
    it does but only with a few special case. So, I stumpled on this question "Prove that bijkl = ∫r<a dV xi xj ∂2(1/r)/∂k∂l, where r=|x|, is a 4th rank tensor."

How to transform the partial derivatives? Thank you for being so patient with me
    I also have question about the affine connection https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=189456 which was raised long ago but no one seems to be interested in answering :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook