Verifying S1 in Quotient Topology of R with x~x+1

In summary, the conversation discusses verifying that the real numbers, quotiented by the equivalence relation x~x+1, is homeomorphic to the unit circle, S^1. The suggested approach is to define a topology on R/~ by stating that the function \pi is continuous, and then showing that the function f defined as f(x)=exp(2*Pi*x*i) is also continuous with respect to this topology. This will demonstrate that S^1 has the same topology as the real line.
andlook

Homework Statement

verify that R, the reals, quotiented by the equivalence relation x~x+1 is S^1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

All i can think of is to draw a unit square and identify sides like the torus, but this would be using IxI, a subset of R^2, and gives a cylinder at best... Obviously I am missing the point, so any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok thought about this some more.

What I have done above is actually on the right path, if the horizontals of the square are identified we get a cylinder, if the vertical height is shrunk to nothing, so we are working in just R, then we get a circle. Then the result follows. I think the logic I present is correct but is there a more mathematically concise way to present this?

Sounds like you should try to write down a function from from R/~ into S1 (or from S1 into R/~) and then try to prove that it's a homeomorphism. You mentioned the "quotient topology" in the title. I take it that means that the open sets on R/~ are defined to be the preimages [itex]\pi^{-1}(U)[/itex] of open sets U in R, where [itex]\pi:\mathbb R\rightarrow\mathbb R/\sim[/itex] is the function that takes a number to its equivalence class: [itex]\pi(x)=[x][/itex].

Ok so the quotient R/~ = [0,1) for the relation x~x+1?

Then defining the map f:[0,1)---S^1 via

f(x)=exp(2*Pi*x*i)

for x in [0,1).

Yes I am working on the definition that open sets in the preimage are open defines continuity and so give definition of homeomorphism.

I take by showing that S^1 is homeomorphic to unit interval this shows that it has the same topology as the real line?

What I'm suggesting is that you define a topology on R/~ by saying that the function [itex]\pi[/itex] is continuous. Then you you show that your f is continuous with respect to that that topology on R/~.

1. What is the quotient topology of R with x~x+1?

The quotient topology of R with x~x+1 is a topological space constructed by identifying all points in R that differ by a multiple of 1. This means that x and y are considered to be the same point in the quotient space if they differ by an integer.

2. What does it mean to verify S1 in the quotient topology of R with x~x+1?

Verifying S1 in the quotient topology of R with x~x+1 means showing that the space satisfies the first axiom of countability, also known as the first separation axiom. This axiom states that for any point in the space, there exists a countable basis of open sets containing that point.

3. How is S1 verified in the quotient topology of R with x~x+1?

To verify S1 in the quotient topology of R with x~x+1, one can use the fact that the quotient space is homeomorphic to the circle S1. This means that any open set in the quotient space can be mapped to an open set in S1, which satisfies the first axiom of countability.

4. What are the implications of verifying S1 in the quotient topology of R with x~x+1?

Verifying S1 in the quotient topology of R with x~x+1 has several implications. It means that the space is first countable, which makes it easier to work with and analyze. It also means that the space is metrizable, meaning it can be equipped with a metric that induces the same topology.

5. Are there any practical applications of verifying S1 in the quotient topology of R with x~x+1?

Yes, there are practical applications of verifying S1 in the quotient topology of R with x~x+1. This topology is commonly used in physics and engineering to model periodic phenomena, such as waves or oscillations. It is also used in topology and geometry to study the properties of the circle and higher dimensional analogues.