1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quotient Topology

1. Aug 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is from Lee's Introduction to Smooth Manifolds. Suppose π : X → Y is a quotient map. Prove that the restriction of π to any saturated open or closed subset of X is a quotient map.

2. Relevant equations

Lee defines a subset U of X to be saturated if U = π-1(π(U)). π is a quotient map if it is surjective and continuous w.r.t the quotient topology defined by π.

3. The attempt at a solution

My interpretation is that I should prove that, if S is a saturated open or closed subset of X, then π|S is a quotient map between S and π(S) = π|S(S), both spaces being endowed with the subspace topology. That is, show that the quotient topology defined by π|S is equivalent to the subspace topology. Is this correct?

I am imagining this approach in my mind, and I don't see how to use the hypothesis that S is either open or closed rather than any arbitrary subset. This worries me. Any advice?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?