Proof of "Quotienting Out" by M: Is it True?

• I
  • Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
The Third Isomorphism Theorem states that if ##N## is a normal subgroup of both ##H## and ##G##, with ##H \le G##, then ##H/N## is a normal subgroup of ##G/N##, and ##(G/N)/(H/N)## is isomorphic to ##G/H##."
Mr Davis 97
If ##N \trianglelefteq H ##, ##N \trianglelefteq G ##, and ##H \le G##, then is it true that ##H/N \le G/N##?

I want to use the result for a proof I am currently doing, but I am not sure it is true.
Is it enough just to note that if ##h_1,h_2\in H##, then ##(h_1N)(h_2^{-1}N) = h_2h_2^{-1}N \in H/N##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
If ##N \trianglelefteq H ##, ##N \trianglelefteq G ##, and ##H \le G##, then is it true that ##H/N \le G/N##?

I want to use the result for a proof I am currently doing, but I am not sure it is true.
Is it enough just to note that if ##h_1,h_2\in H##, then ##(h_1N)(h_2^{-1}N) = h_2h_2^{-1}N \in H/N##?
No, it's wrong. The index before last has to be ##1## :biggrin:

The rest is a yes.
E.g.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isomorphism_theorems#Third_isomorphism_theorem

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. What is "Proof of Quotienting Out" by M?

"Proof of Quotienting Out" by M is a mathematical concept that involves proving a statement by dividing it into smaller, simpler pieces or quotients.

2. How does "Proof of Quotienting Out" by M work?

This method works by breaking down a complex statement or problem into smaller, manageable pieces or quotients. By proving each quotient, the overall statement or problem is also proven.

3. What are the benefits of using "Proof of Quotienting Out" by M?

Using this method allows for complex statements or problems to be divided into smaller, simpler pieces, making it easier to understand and prove the overall statement. It also allows for a step-by-step approach to solving problems.

4. Can you provide an example of "Proof of Quotienting Out" by M?

One example of this concept is in the proof of the Pythagorean Theorem. This theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. By dividing the statement into smaller pieces and proving each one, the overall theorem is proven.

5. How is "Proof of Quotienting Out" by M used in real-world applications?

This method is commonly used in mathematical and scientific fields to prove complex theories and statements. It is also used in problem-solving and in creating algorithms for computer programs.