Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion Quoting from a Closed Thread

1. Dec 22, 2016 #1
    I just noticed that when a thread is closed, we lose the option to "quote."

It makes sense, obviously that I cannot quote them in the same (closed) thread. But I would like to open a new thread which quotes it (usually this is some tangent that we avoided originally).

Just putting it in the suggestion box for review. Thanks!

-Dave K

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Can you click the "+Quote" button? Afterwards, open the thread where you want to quote the post and click "Insert quotes".
    Edit: Okay, checked it, that only works with mentor rights.

You can always mark the text and copy it via your browser, but that loses the formatting. If there is complicated formatting that you want to keep, you can ask a mentor.

Random closed topic to test.

4. Dec 22, 2016 #3
    Nope. Here's a screencap of the last post in the test thread you posted. No +Quote button.

upload_2016-12-22_11-24-29.png

Yeah, it'd be nice to use the quote feature. It keeps formatting and other good info.

-Dave K

Attached Files:

5. Dec 22, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I updated my post a bit before you posted. If the formatting is important and complex, you can ask a mentor to get the source code.

6. Dec 22, 2016 #5
    I am much too lazy for that. :biggrin: It's just a matter of convenience, so I post the suggestion if it is easy to change. Based on what you are saying, the +Quote option is only available if you are able to reply to the thread, (which, as a moderator you can probably do if the thread is closed.) So it is probably not so easy to make it behave otherwise.

-Dave K

7. Dec 22, 2016 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Do you really, really want to do this? Whatever your intentions are, I am reasonably sure that the most popular use will be to restart conversations that were stopped for a reason.

8. Dec 22, 2016 #7
    I assure you as a paragon of online etiquette and model user of this forum I personally have nothing but the most noble of intentions and would never think of doing such a thing.

But OK fair enough. Good point.

-Dave K

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted