Quoting Plato: A Guide with "Dialogues Plato"

• Thread starter DB
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to properly quote Plato without the Stephanus Edition. It is suggested to use the title of the book and page number, as well as the name of the translator. It is also mentioned that if the translation is directly from a specific dialogue, that should also be noted. If this does not work, the suggestion is to try finding a single dialogue translation.
DB
i need a little help, how do i quote Plato if i don't have the Stephanus Edition?
i just have a book called "dialogues Plato"

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That, "dialogues Plato", was pretty good.
Here is a simpler version: "Plato".
Or alternatively, his real name, "Aristocles".

what do you mean?
i meant if i were to quote him what would i put in parenthathese like (Phaedo 152a) or watever, how do i know what page to write if i don't have the Stephanus Edition?

i guess that you can't ever really quote him directly, unless you were writing in greek. so you might have to signify that you are quoting a translation of Plato, by whomever the author is. if the book tells you what dialogue the translation directly comes from, you can signify that as well as citing the book (dialogues Plato) and page number of from it.

it seems, you might have to cite Plato indirectly by referring the reader to "dilogues plato" and it's page number.

just give as much info about the source you are citing from, in your essay, so that the citation is understood, correctly.

if it's a plato translation, it's a plato translation, and you should just need to note the direct source, from which you extracted the translation.

if this doesn't help, then i am at a loss and you might want to see if u can find a single dialogue translation

no it helped sameandnot, thanks, apreciate it

1. What is "Quoting Plato: A Guide with Dialogues Plato"?

"Quoting Plato: A Guide with Dialogues Plato" is a reference guide that provides a comprehensive collection of Plato's dialogues, along with explanations and analysis of his quotes. It aims to help readers gain a deeper understanding of Plato's philosophy and how it is reflected in his writing.

2. Who is Plato and why is he important?

Plato (428/427 BC – 348/347 BC) was a Greek philosopher and mathematician who is considered one of the most influential thinkers in Western philosophy. He was a student of Socrates and the teacher of Aristotle. Plato's ideas and writings have had a significant impact on the development of philosophy, politics, and education throughout history.

3. How is this guide organized?

The guide is organized into three main sections: an introduction to Plato and his philosophy, a collection of his dialogues, and a glossary of key terms and concepts. Each dialogue is accompanied by a brief summary, analysis of key quotes, and discussion questions to help readers engage with the material.

4. Can this guide be useful for non-experts?

Yes, this guide is designed to be accessible for readers of all levels. It provides introductory information on Plato's life and works, and the dialogues are presented in a way that is easy to understand. The glossary also defines important terms and concepts, making it a helpful resource for those new to Plato's philosophy.

5. Is this guide limited to Plato's dialogues or does it cover other works?

This guide focuses specifically on Plato's dialogues, as they are considered the most significant and influential aspect of his writing. However, some of his other works may also be referenced when discussing certain concepts or themes.