Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Quran Burning Cancelled: Publicity Stunt From The Start?

1. Sep 9, 2010 #1
    First, while I can't dictate terms for any given thread, I'd just ask that this one stick to the topic: given the cancellation of the Pastor in Florida's "burn a quran" event, was this whole thing a publicity stunt from the start? Was it about publicity, with the intent to follow-through, but at some point it became a default that it would be canceled... and why not wait for maximum coverage? Was this a matter of pressure from all corners stopping a book-burning that was in fact, just about burning qurans?

I personally think that this was mostly a publicity stunt, but one that was meant to be of a smaller scale than this. I think they did intend to go through with this, but I don't believe the magnitude of the negative response was anticipated. That being said, once everyone up to the president of the USA spoke up, why not milk the publicity? That's my view, what are yours?

Again, for the sake of civil discourse and keeping the thread alive, please stick to the original question posed here, or shadings of it and not a fresh debate about Islam, or any other religion.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2010 #2
    I think someone got abit intimidated by the black panthers, they dont look like they **** about.

4. Sep 9, 2010 #3
    I don't know, what was the final straw for intimidation? I'm not so proud that I'll claim a sitting general, sec. state, and former president (never mind current) wouldn't intimidate the hell out of me. Was it fear of violence, or just bad press?

5. Sep 9, 2010 #4
    these sorts of events where they destroy various types of music and literature they find offensive were fairly common in fundamentalist churches before all this koran stuff.

6. Sep 9, 2010 #5
    Fear of violence, the pastor is obviously a raving loon so couldnt care less about bad press but he obviously apreciates the use of his limbs.

7. Sep 9, 2010 #6
    Hmmm, I wonder, but to me it seems like that was the one piece of pressure that was ALWAYS there.

True, too true... so why back down now?

8. Sep 9, 2010 #7
    I find it disturbing that all of the condemnations from the US General, Speaker of the House, Hillary, Obama, and even Angelina Jolie was directed at some lunatic with 20 followers, and not on mass media which catapulted him to a celebrity status over night.

9. Sep 9, 2010 #8

cronxeh

Gold Member

Perhaps if we had a crazy guy broadcasting from a bunker somewhere, armed with AK-47s, AR-15s, M249s and displaying C-4 explosives on the wall behind him, meanwhile holding a lighter next to a koran and burning the book down on a YouTube stream..

Perhaps then it would be a display of 'here is my move, yeah I'm crazy and I don't care, what are you going to do about it?'

Judging by replies alone it seems there are a lot of cowards 'out there' and if you think about it, people not afraid to die for their religion are the winners here. They have scared you without even making a statement or bombing from over 8000 miles away.

So what if he wants to burn a bible or koran or old testament or torah or that jehova's witness pamphlet. The Atheists been doing it for years! Nobody is messing with us just the same

10. Sep 9, 2010 #9
    It helped them demonstrate what Americans believe in i.e. respect for other cultures. I believe one of the goals of Obama was to raise the American confidence among others and this was one of the excellent opportunities to prove that. We just need few of more wackos like. I liked that there was at least one thing every one (middle east and western governments ) shared.

However, not condemning his idea could have damage American interests in the middle east. If you don't condemn it is easy to believe that you are approving.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  11. Sep 9, 2010 #10
    He chickened out. I was hoping he would do it. I wanted to watch the repercussions, if there were any. I doubt anything would have come of it, though.
    What were the Muslims going to do, attack American soldiers? They're already doing that.

12. Sep 9, 2010 #11
    There you go again, assuming Muslims are a homogeneous group who act in unison. You don't think there are any borderline cases in Iraq or Afghanistan?

Imagine this scenario. You're an 18 year old Iraqi, who has seen America take out your plumbing and electricity a couple times in the past 7 years. You've watched your parents humiliated and searched at traffic blockades by American troops. You've been approached by Al Qaeda recruiters, but so far you haven't taken them up on their offer because you believe these troops don't mean you any harm specifically. As angry as you are with them, you can't bring yourself to actually attack them, because you believe what they say, this is not a war against Islam.

The troops just wanted to get rid of Saddam, not kill Muslims, you believe. Your whole family is religious, and you'd hate to believe these troops were doing all of this destruction because they hated you and everyone you love. So, you tolerate it.

Now, the news comes to you that Americans are burning Qurans. Half the country seems to support this. Furthermore, an Islamic community center is being protested and rallied against, just because it is Islamic.

Do you continue believing that the American soldiers you barely tolerate still have your best interests in mind? Or does doubt creep into your mind? Maybe these soldiers actually enjoy making you miserable... maybe those rumors you've heard about soldiers attacking civilians unprovoked are true....

An Al Qaeda recruiter approaches you again. What do you do?

13. Sep 9, 2010 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Good post, Jack.

14. Sep 9, 2010 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes that's what I thought too. I had the futile thought that the media should boycott the burning, so that pictures of it didn't end up circulating forever on the internet like the Abu Ghraib pictures. Of course that would be like asking the media to not film a train wreck :rolleyes:.

15. Sep 9, 2010 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

16. Sep 9, 2010 #15
    because, it's what the media wants to portray as the stereotype of someone opposed to Barack Obama.

that, plus they love a train wreck. even if that means throwing the switch yourself.

17. Sep 9, 2010 #16

turbo

Gold Member

Ah, the myth of the "left-wing media" is exposed yet another time. Manufacturing political controversies is a lot cheaper and more profitable (and a lot safer for producers, reporters, and their staffs) than actually investigating and reporting on current affairs.

18. Sep 9, 2010 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK let me get this straight...a guy is threatening to do something that could very well get our service members killed, and you think the only reason he makes the news is that he's a hick?

19. Sep 9, 2010 #18
    It looks like the burn might be back on!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hKWWJdTrfALpbYfWB6fM58p6u-pwD9I4OS980 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  20. Sep 9, 2010 #19
    The guy sounds like a potential Kool aid mixer.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,716409,00.html

21. Sep 9, 2010 #20
    no, not exactly. first of all, i gave two reasons. and second, it is news (at least at a local level), but it takes a certain amount of dedication to elevate it to the level that the Sec State is having to address it publicly.

and do you really think it isn't obvious that the press likes to portray right wing people as stupid hicks?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook