Show Cardinality of Real Numbers and Complements

In summary, the conversation discusses showing that the sets ##\mathbb{R} \setminus C##, ##\mathbb{R}##, and ##\mathbb{R} \cup C## have the same cardinality. This is done by defining functions that map between these sets and showing that they are bijections. The discussion also addresses the potential complication of the set difference and provides a solution for that case.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

##\mathbb{R} \setminus C \sim \mathbb{R} \sim \mathbb{R} \cup C##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to show that all of these have the same cardinality. For ##\mathbb{R} \cup C \sim \mathbb{R}##, if ##C = \{c_1, c_2, ... c_n \}## is finite we can define ##

f(x) =
\begin{cases}
n &~ \text{if} ~x=c_n~ \text{where} ~n \le |C| \\
n+|C| &~ \text{if} ~x=n~ \text{where} ~n \in \mathbb{N} \\
x &~ \text{if} ~x \not\in \mathbb{N} \cup C

\end{cases}

##

And if ##C = \{c_1, c_2, c_3, ... \}## is infinite we can define
##

f(x) =
\begin{cases}
2n &~ \text{if} ~x=c_n~ \text{where} ~n \in \mathbb{N} \\
2n-1 &~ \text{if} ~x=n~ \text{where} ~n \in \mathbb{N} \\
x &~ \text{if} ~x \not\in \mathbb{N} \cup C

\end{cases}

##

I think that these are both bijections.

However, I am a little confused about showing that ##\mathbb{R} \sim \mathbb{R} \setminus C##. Does this imply that all the elements of ##C## are in ##\mathbb{R}##? If this is the case couldn't we just define ##f: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R} \setminus C##, and have a very similar bijection as the first one defined above?

Physics news on Phys.org
How is C defined? It has to be defined somewhere, don't leave that out.

What exactly are your functions f supposed to be? They look like they map real numbers to real numbers, but if all elements of C are real numbers, then there is a trivial bijection.

mfb said:
How is C defined? It has to be defined somewhere, don't leave that out.

What exactly are your functions f supposed to be? They look like they map real numbers to real numbers, but if all elements of C are real numbers, then there is a trivial bijection.
Sorry, I forgot an important piece of information. The only information given on ##C## is that it is countable, so either finite or denumerable.

Then I guess C can contain both real numbers (interesting for R\C) and other elements (interesting for R u C).

mfb said:
Then I guess C can contain both real numbers (interesting for R\C) and other elements (interesting for R u C).
So is what I have above correct at least for showing that ##\mathbb{R}## and ##\mathbb{R} \cup C## have the same cardinality?

See my question above: What is f? You didn't introduce it properly.

mfb said:
See my question above: What is f? You didn't introduce it properly.
##f:\mathbb{R} \cup C \rightarrow \mathbb{R}##

What happens if c2=3? Then you assign two different values to f(3).
The approach can work, but it needs a bit more refinement.

Let ##C' = C \setminus \mathbb{N}##

If ##C' = \{c_1, c_2, ... c_n \}## is finite we can define ##,

f(x) =
\begin{cases}
n &~ \text{if} ~x=c_n~ \text{where} ~n \le |C'| \\
n+|C| &~ \text{if} ~x=n~ \text{where} ~n \in \mathbb{N} \\
x &~ \text{if} ~x \not\in \mathbb{N} \cup C'

\end{cases}

##

And if ##C' = \{c_1, c_2, c_3, ... \}## is infinite we can define
##

f(x) =
\begin{cases}
2n &~ \text{if} ~x=c_n~ \text{where} ~n \in \mathbb{N} \\
2n-1 &~ \text{if} ~x=n~ \text{where} ~n \in \mathbb{N} \\
x &~ \text{if} ~x \not\in \mathbb{N} \cup C'

\end{cases}

##

Does that work?

mfb said:
That should be fine.
How would I do the set difference one? I would use a bijection similar to the ones I used above, but I am concerned with the fact that we are using a set difference. Usually if we have $f: A \cup B \rightarrow A$ and we are trying to show that $A \cup B$ has the same cardinality as $A$, we would take the extra elements of $A \cup B$ and embed them in a denumerable subset of $A$. However, since we are using set difference in this case, if I choose that denumerable subet to be the natural numbers, it seems that there is no reason that C could be that same denumerable set (meaning that the natural numbers is no longer a denumerable set of ##\mathbb{R} \cup C##. So I am not sure how to address this.

Mr Davis 97 said:
How would I do the set difference one?
You can do it very similarly to the other one. Basically reversing the direction.

1. What is the cardinality of real numbers?

The cardinality of real numbers is the number of unique elements in the set of real numbers. It is also known as the size or the cardinality of the real numbers and is denoted by the symbol "ℝ". It is an uncountably infinite set, meaning that it cannot be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers.

2. How is the cardinality of real numbers calculated?

The cardinality of real numbers can be calculated using the Cantor's diagonal argument. It states that if a set is countably infinite, then it can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers. However, if a set is uncountably infinite, then it cannot be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers. Thus, by using this argument, it can be proved that the cardinality of real numbers is uncountably infinite.

3. What is the complement of a set of real numbers?

The complement of a set of real numbers is the set of all elements that are not in the original set. In other words, it is the set of elements that do not belong to the given set of real numbers. It is denoted by the symbol "𝕋" and is also an uncountably infinite set. The complement of the set of real numbers can also be referred to as the set of irrational numbers.

4. How can the cardinality of real numbers and its complement be compared?

The cardinality of real numbers and its complement have the same cardinality. This means that they have the same number of elements or size. This can be proved using the one-to-one correspondence principle, which states that if two sets have the same cardinality, then they can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with each other. Thus, the cardinality of real numbers and its complement are both uncountably infinite and have the same number of elements.

5. Are there any other examples of uncountably infinite sets besides real numbers?

Yes, there are many other examples of uncountably infinite sets besides real numbers. Some examples include the set of all points on a line, the set of all points in a plane, and the set of all possible combinations of letters in the English alphabet. These sets cannot be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers and thus have an uncountably infinite cardinality.