Determining Resistance Equivalence in Electric Circuits: Troubleshooting Guide

• Thread starter qwerty321
  • Start date
In summary, the CCE student has difficulty determining resistance equivalence between terminals when two circuits are compared. He does not know how to determine which resistances are in series and which are in parallel. He needs help from someone who is an expert in the area.
qwerty321
hello..i am studying CCE and i have some difficulties in electric circuit..
i don not know how to determine a resistance equivalence between 2 terminals..i am unable to know which resistances are in series and which are paralle..can someone help me?

for example i have the following circuit:
(attachement)

and i need to determine Req between terminals ab when:

a)when terminals cd are open -circuited
b)when erminals cd are short-circuited

Thank you and i relly need help:S

I have my quizzes comming up next week

Attachments

• untitled.GIF
    untitled.GIF
    2.7 KB · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org
unfold/redraw it

i do not have to draw it again..it is clear enough..
u have 4 resistance( 6,8,10 and 12) and you have to determine the R eq between terminals ab

Proton Soup said:
unfold/redraw it
qwerty321 said:
i do not have to draw it again..it is clear enough..

D'oh! :rolleyes: Proton Soup means it would be a lot easier if you re-drew the diagram by picking up bd and turning it round (so it's db from left to right), so that the circuit becomes untwisted. :smile:

idid not understand!what happens then?
how do i turn it around?

qwerty321 said:
idid not understand!what happens then?
how do i turn it around?

It's like a letter X, with the lines AD and BC crossed.

Just turn the bottom line (BD) round so that AD and BC are vertical, and not crossing each other.

Then it's much easier to see what's in series and what's in parallel. :smile:

sry but I ain't understanding..can you please draw it for me,or a simple sample..thank you tiny-tim and i really appreciate your help

anyone there?
please just redraw the figure and I will try to figure out the answers by myself please help!

that would be doing the problem for you. maybe reading the first chapter of an introductory book on graphy theory or topology would help.

Let's attack part a of the problem first.

If you take away the 6 ohm and 10 ohm resistors, and also delete node d, can you figure out the resistance between nodes a and b? Do you understand whether the remaining 12 ohm and 3 ohm resistors are in parallel or in series?

Then you can replace the 6 and 10 ohm resistors with a single resistor of the same equivalent resistance, put back the 12 and 3 ohm resistors and continue your calculation from there. Does this help your understanding?

yes i see that 12 and 8(its not 3) are in series and 6 and 10 too..then Req(10+8) and Req(6+10) are parallel..ok but what sould i do when c and d are short-circuited..this is where i do not understand..

If c and d are shorted together, 12 and 6 ohms are then connected in parallel and can be replaced by their Req. Also, 10 and 8 ohms are then connected in parallel and can be replaced by their Req. Do you see what to do next?

yes ok i got it..but just a question..how can you know when they are in paralle or in series?
do you use the essential node thing?
please tell me how

ok i know that..but i still do not understand th thing i told you about in our case here..
anyway just a question:
are you an electrical engineering?

Explain again just what it is that you don't understand.

Yes, I'm an electrical engineer.

how come that 12 and 6 are in parallel..do they share the same pair of essential node?
and btw,i have 2 questions i wana ask you..can I pm you?

thanks for helping me the electriian..i really appreciate it!

12 and 6 are only in parallel if c and d are shorted together.

One end of 12 and 6 are already connected together at node a. If you short c and d together, then the other ends of 12 and 6 become connected. That's what makes a parallel connection.

Sure, go ahead and PM me. I'll be up for at least another hour.

ann ok..now i get it
thank due u really rock!
ok ill pm u

i still do not understand how did you figure oout they were paralle and then in series..please explain to me using essential ndoes

let's say you've got a two-node element like a resistor. if two elements share a single node, they're in series. if they share two different nodes, they're in parallel.

1. What is resistance equivalence in an electric circuit?

Resistance equivalence in an electric circuit refers to the total resistance of a circuit, which is the combined resistance of all the individual components in the circuit. It is important to determine resistance equivalence in order to properly troubleshoot and analyze the behavior of the circuit.

2. How is resistance equivalence calculated?

The resistance equivalence in an electric circuit can be calculated by adding up the individual resistances in series circuits, or by using the parallel resistance formula for parallel circuits. In more complex circuits, a combination of series and parallel calculations may be necessary.

3. Why is it important to determine resistance equivalence?

Determining resistance equivalence is important because it helps us understand how the circuit will behave and how much current will flow through it. It also allows us to identify any potential issues or malfunctions in the circuit and troubleshoot them effectively.

4. What are some common problems that can arise in electric circuits related to resistance equivalence?

Some common problems that can arise in electric circuits related to resistance equivalence include incorrect calculations, faulty components, and improper wiring. These issues can lead to circuit malfunctions, fluctuations in current, and even damage to the circuit or connected devices.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues related to resistance equivalence in an electric circuit?

To troubleshoot issues related to resistance equivalence in an electric circuit, it is important to double-check all calculations, inspect all components for any signs of damage or malfunction, and ensure that the wiring is correct. If the issue cannot be resolved, it may be necessary to consult a professional or seek further assistance.