R.F. Oscill'motor': Can You Make a Powerful Oscillator?

• Thread starter PhysicoRaj
  • Start date
In summary: IS the oscillator. This is the way it was done back in the early days of radio. Nowhere near as stable as today's crystals, VCO's and PLL's etc but it worked :)
PhysicoRaj
Gold Member
Hi,
Can you turn an electric (DC) motor into a powerful R.F. oscillator? I see that an ordinary motor is already an oscillator which produces noises in the receiver, but One that produces a sharp, distinct, recognizable signal (or noise) (of any frequency) in a receiver? I just don't want to use any electronic components bcuz I can just take to those simple a.m transmitters if I used transistors and condensers.. an 'electrical' method would do.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
PhysicoRaj said:
Hi,
Can you turn an electric (DC) motor into a powerful R.F. oscillator? I see that an ordinary motor is already an oscillator which produces noises in the receiver, but One that produces a sharp, distinct, recognizable signal (or noise) (of any frequency) in a receiver? I just don't want to use any electronic components bcuz I can just take to those simple a.m transmitters if I used transistors and condensers.. an 'electrical' method would do.
Thanks.

No, not really. The electrical noise you hear is from the sparks from the brushes making and breaking contact.

But on the other hand ... you can use an AC generator to produce a RF signal. This was done in the very early days of radio when there were few transmitters like that around.
Now days it would be strongly frowned upon without the output of the generator being well filtered to stop harmonics etc that would cause interference noise right across the spectrum upsetting other legit users

Dave

davenn said:
But on the other hand ... you can use an AC generator to produce a RF signal.
But it would need some turning to go on with.. so I think of only inductor... some capacitors and resistances( 1 or 2 transistors would do). A simple oscillator that can be modulated by a signal from a microphone.

PhysicoRaj said:
But it would need some turning to go on with.. so I think of only inductor... some capacitors and resistances( 1 or 2 transistors would do). A simple oscillator that can be modulated by a signal from a microphone.

the generator itself IS the oscillator. This is the way it was done back in the early days of radio. Nowhere near as stable as today's crystals, VCO's and PLL's etc but it worked :)

Dave

Thanks..

1. What is an R.F. Oscill'motor?

An R.F. Oscill'motor is a type of motor that uses radio frequency (R.F.) oscillations to produce mechanical motion. It is often used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and mobile phones.

2. How does an R.F. Oscill'motor work?

An R.F. Oscill'motor works by converting electrical energy into mechanical motion. It uses an R.F. oscillator circuit to generate a high frequency signal, which is then amplified and used to drive a motor. The motor's rotation is controlled by the frequency and amplitude of the R.F. signal.

3. What makes an R.F. Oscill'motor powerful?

The power of an R.F. Oscill'motor depends on several factors, including the strength of the R.F. signal, the efficiency of the motor's design, and the load it is driving. By optimizing these factors, it is possible to create a powerful R.F. Oscill'motor.

4. Can an R.F. Oscill'motor be used to create a powerful oscillator?

Yes, an R.F. Oscill'motor can be used to create a powerful oscillator. By carefully designing the R.F. oscillator circuit and motor, it is possible to produce high-frequency, high-amplitude oscillations that can be used in a variety of applications.

5. What are some common uses for R.F. Oscill'motors?

R.F. Oscill'motors are commonly used in electronic devices that require precise and powerful oscillations, such as radios, televisions, and mobile phones. They are also used in industrial applications, such as in machinery and robotics, where precise and efficient motion is needed.