RIP John Wheeler: Remembering a Great Scientist

• Thread starter blumfeld0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wheeler
In summary, John Wheeler, a renowned physicist known for coining the term "black hole," has passed away. Despite his contributions to the field, he was never awarded a Nobel Prize. Many are mourning his loss and paying tribute to his genius and impact on science.
Physics news on Phys.org
Big loss to physics..he should have been given Noble prize..i don't know why he was not given Noble prize yet?...but the world will always remember him for introducing the word "Black hole"...

Before logging in, I always check out the SciAm listings on the right side of the screen. To my utter dismay, I saw an obituary for Dr. Wheeler. A true giant has fallen.

Danger said:
Before logging in, I always check out the SciAm listings on the right side of the screen. To my utter dismay, I saw an obituary for Dr. Wheeler. A true giant has fallen.

That is very sad. I picked up a book not but a few weeks ago that he and Edwin Taylor collaborated on. Exploring Black Holes; Intro to GR.

Rest in peace, sir. He was one a true genius. One of the last giants of physics. :(

That is sad news, I have read some of his work.

Those are great links, Rob. My apologies that I was unaware of them. I don't visit the 'Beyond the Standard Model' thread or read blogs. Very nice coverage.

1. Who was John Wheeler?

John Wheeler was an American theoretical physicist who made significant contributions to the fields of quantum mechanics, nuclear physics, and general relativity. He is best known for coining the term "black hole" and for his work on the theory of nuclear fission.

2. When did John Wheeler pass away?

John Wheeler passed away on April 13, 2008 at the age of 96.

3. What were some of John Wheeler's notable achievements?

John Wheeler made many notable achievements in physics throughout his career. Some of the most significant include his work on the theory of nuclear fission, his contributions to the understanding of black holes, and his development of the Wheeler-DeWitt equation in quantum gravity.

4. How did John Wheeler's work impact the field of physics?

John Wheeler's work had a significant impact on the field of physics. His research and theories helped to advance our understanding of fundamental concepts such as quantum mechanics, general relativity, and the nature of space and time. His contributions also paved the way for further research and developments in these areas.

5. How is John Wheeler remembered by the scientific community?

John Wheeler is remembered as a brilliant physicist and a pioneer in his field. He is recognized for his groundbreaking contributions to physics and his mentorship of many young scientists. His legacy continues to inspire future generations of scientists and his work remains an important part of the scientific community.