R.I.P Peter Falk - A Tribute to the Columbo Star

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
In summary, Peter Falk, best known for his role as Columbo on the TV series, passed away at the age of 83. He was also known for his roles in movies such as The In-laws and Vibes. He was a talented actor and narrator.
Jimmy Snyder
I loved watching the old Columbo TV series. If you are not familiar with the murder mystery show, the crime was committed in front of your eyes so there was no mystery as to who dunnit or how. The point of the show was to see how Columbo would figure it out. Falk always claimed that he was just as rumpled in real life as Columbo was on TV. He also made quite a few movies. Two of my favorites were The In-laws and Vibes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry to hear of his passing. I loved his sloppy, disheveled look and the "Oh, by the way" asides that he would employ to keep suspects off-balance as he tightened the screws. Great show!

That is sad. I loved Columbo.

Columbo was shown even here, back in seventies. I remember watching it with my Mom.

R.I.P.

Columbo was one of my favorite shows. :frown:

Just last year I read Falk's memoir, Just One More Thing, full of charming stories.

His ratty-looking Peugeot was a trademark of his character's style, like his rumpled overcoat. My satellite-TV provider has tons of cable channels. I wish at least a couple of them would run MacMillan and Wife, Columbo and other great old cop shows.

turbo-1 said:
My satellite-TV provider has tons of cable channels. I wish at least a couple of them would run MacMillan and Wife, Columbo and other great old cop shows.

They may now that he's died. I'd love to see the reruns also. RIP Columbo

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed Columbo, MacMillan and Wife, McCloud (with Dennis Weaver), and the Rockford Files (James Garner). I think Columbo was the cleverest though with the challenge of finding the key clue to get the bad guy. I also like Hec Ramsey with Richard Boone.

RIP Peter.

My wife teaches German, and used to show videos of German movies to her students at our house. When I first saw Peter Falk in Wim Wenders's Wings of Desire (Der Himmer über Berlin), I did a double-take (knowing him only from Columbo) and thought, "is that really...?"

I was Googling for a picture of him in this movie, and came across this interesting article:

What is Peter Falk Doing in Wings of Desire?

Astronuc said:
I enjoyed Columbo, MacMillan and Wife, McCloud (with Dennis Weaver), and the Rockford Files (James Garner). I think Columbo was the cleverest though with the challenge of finding the key clue to get the bad guy. I also like Hec Ramsey with Richard Boone.

RIP Peter.
I had forgotten all about Hec Ramsey! How can that be? That really was a good show. Of course Rockford Files would be a welcome addition to the re-run cable station, too. An investigator living in a dumpy house-trailer... Angel was a character to latch onto - slippery, yet somehow likable.

BTW, did anybody flash back to Rockford when seeing Mel Gibson living in a house trailer on the coast in Lethal Weapon? I sure did.

Last edited:
I loved Columbo. R.I.P.

Evo said:
I loved Columbo. R.I.P.
Falk did a wonderful job as the grandfather in The Princess Bride. His performance and narration were perfect. Morgan Freeman, Gene Hackman and a few others could have pulled that off, but perhaps not as well.

turbo-1 said:
I had forgotten all about Hec Ramsey! How can that be?

How about Paladin ? That was my favorite Richard Boone show.

turbo-1 said:
Falk did a wonderful job as the grandfather in The Princess Bride. His performance and narration were perfect. Morgan Freeman, Gene Hackman and a few others could have pulled that off, but perhaps not as well.
They didn't have Falk's ability to be quirky.

Evo said:
They didn't have Falk's ability to be quirky.
Perhaps not. Like Jimmy Stewart, he was able to stumble through vocal quirks and make them his own. If you like Jimmy Stewart, try to pick up some clips from Jackson Browne's guitarist David Lindley. It's scary!

1. Who was Peter Falk?

Peter Falk was an American actor best known for his role as Lieutenant Columbo in the television series "Columbo". He was also a stage actor, director, and producer.

2. When did Peter Falk pass away?

Peter Falk passed away on June 23, 2011 at the age of 83.

3. What was Peter Falk's most famous role?

Peter Falk's most famous role was as Lieutenant Columbo in the television series "Columbo". He played the character for 35 years and won multiple awards for his performance.

4. What other notable roles did Peter Falk have?

Peter Falk also had notable roles in films such as "The Princess Bride", "Murder by Death", and "Pocketful of Miracles". He also appeared in numerous television shows and plays throughout his career.

5. How is Peter Falk being remembered?

Peter Falk is being remembered as a talented and versatile actor who brought charm and wit to his most famous role as Lieutenant Columbo. He is also remembered for his contributions to the entertainment industry and his impact on fans around the world.