Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

R.I.P Peter Falk

1. Jun 24, 2011 #1
    I loved watching the old Columbo TV series. If you are not familiar with the murder mystery show, the crime was committed in front of your eyes so there was no mystery as to who dunnit or how. The point of the show was to see how Columbo would figure it out. Falk always claimed that he was just as rumpled in real life as Columbo was on TV. He also made quite a few movies. Two of my favorites were The In-laws and Vibes.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2011 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Sorry to hear of his passing. I loved his sloppy, disheveled look and the "Oh, by the way" asides that he would employ to keep suspects off-balance as he tightened the screws. Great show!

4. Jun 24, 2011 #3
    That is sad. I loved Columbo.

5. Jun 24, 2011 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Columbo was shown even here, back in seventies. I remember watching it with my Mom.

R.I.P.

6. Jun 24, 2011 #5

Doc Al

Columbo was one of my favorite shows. :frown:

Just last year I read Falk's memoir, Just One More Thing, full of charming stories.

7. Jun 24, 2011 #6

turbo

Gold Member

His ratty-looking Peugeot was a trademark of his character's style, like his rumpled overcoat. My satellite-TV provider has tons of cable channels. I wish at least a couple of them would run MacMillan and Wife, Columbo and other great old cop shows.

8. Jun 24, 2011 #7

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They may now that he's died. I'd love to see the reruns also. RIP Columbo

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2011
  9. Jun 24, 2011 #8

Astronuc

I enjoyed Columbo, MacMillan and Wife, McCloud (with Dennis Weaver), and the Rockford Files (James Garner). I think Columbo was the cleverest though with the challenge of finding the key clue to get the bad guy. I also like Hec Ramsey with Richard Boone.

RIP Peter.

10. Jun 24, 2011 #9

jtbell

My wife teaches German, and used to show videos of German movies to her students at our house. When I first saw Peter Falk in Wim Wenders's Wings of Desire (Der Himmer über Berlin), I did a double-take (knowing him only from Columbo) and thought, "is that really...?"

I was Googling for a picture of him in this movie, and came across this interesting article:

What is Peter Falk Doing in Wings of Desire?

11. Jun 24, 2011 #10

turbo

Gold Member

I had forgotten all about Hec Ramsey! How can that be? That really was a good show. Of course Rockford Files would be a welcome addition to the re-run cable station, too. An investigator living in a dumpy house-trailer... Angel was a character to latch onto - slippery, yet somehow likable.

BTW, did anybody flash back to Rockford when seeing Mel Gibson living in a house trailer on the coast in Lethal Weapon? I sure did.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  12. Jun 24, 2011 #11

Evo

I loved Columbo. R.I.P.

13. Jun 24, 2011 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Falk did a wonderful job as the grandfather in The Princess Bride. His performance and narration were perfect. Morgan Freeman, Gene Hackman and a few others could have pulled that off, but perhaps not as well.

14. Jun 24, 2011 #13

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

How about Paladin ? That was my favorite Richard Boone show.

15. Jun 24, 2011 #14

Evo

They didn't have Falk's ability to be quirky.

16. Jun 24, 2011 #15

turbo

Gold Member

Perhaps not. Like Jimmy Stewart, he was able to stumble through vocal quirks and make them his own. If you like Jimmy Stewart, try to pick up some clips from Jackson Browne's guitarist David Lindley. It's scary!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook