1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

R^n and field

1. May 6, 2008 #1
    Is there a proof that shows if R^n can be turned into a field, for specific n?

Obviously, n=1 is a field, and n=2 can be made into a field (which is just the complex plane.)

So what about n>2?

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2008 #2
    What invertable, closed, multiplication and division operation are you going to define for n>2?

Even for R^2, your complex numbers, that's a space that's isomorphic with R^2, and is not R^2 itself. You can introduce invertable vector product for R^n (I like the geometric/clifford algebra product for this). But to get invertable and closed with that product you have to combine components of such vector products (ie: complex numbers, and quaternions, or other generalizations of these get by adding grade 0 and 2 components from this larger algebraic space).

4. Jun 5, 2008 #3
    it is a theorem that for dimensions three or higher euclidean space cannot be turned into a field, or if we want to be pedantic: for n >/= 3 there is no field isomorphic to R^n.

I saw a proof of the fact in a complex analysis class sometime ago so I don't remember it but it uses (very) elementary methods and as such should be found easily.

5. Jun 5, 2008 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have a small technical problem with the explanation given in 3: in what sense are you asserting that there are no fields isomorphic to R^n for n>=3? Or more accurately, in what category?

I think that it might be better to say - if F is a field, and F is in VECT(R) - cat of real vector spaces - then F has dimension 1 or 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?