Proving R^n\{x} is Connected for n>1

• Thread starter R.P.F.
  • Start date
In summary, the author is trying to show that R^n is connected, but has had difficulty doing so. They are considering a continuous map from R^n to R^n\{x}, however this map does not seem to be continuous. They have also come up with a proof by contradiction that R^n is disconnected.
R.P.F.

Homework Statement

I am trying to show that R^n\{x} where x could be any point in R^n is connected for n>1. I have been thinking about this for a while but haven't had any luck. Seems like that I'm missing something simple. I tried to construct a continuous map from R^n to R^n\{x}. All I came up was to send x to some other point y, but that map did not seem to be continuous. Any help is appreciated!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't it easier to show that it is path-connected, which implies connected? You can easily find a path between any two points (take a straight line, if it crosses x then make a wobble around it) - I'll leave it up to you to formalise that argument.

If you insist on using the definition, maybe a proof by contradiction would work. I'm thinking along the lines of "let A and B be open disjoint sets in X = Rn \ {x} whose union is X. Let A be the one containing an open neighbourhood of x, and consider A' = (A [itex]\cup[/itex] \{ x \}) and B. Then A' and B are open sets in Rn and their union is Rn, proving that Rn is disconnected.

CompuChip said:
Isn't it easier to show that it is path-connected, which implies connected? You can easily find a path between any two points (take a straight line, if it crosses x then make a wobble around it) - I'll leave it up to you to formalise that argument.

If you insist on using the definition, maybe a proof by contradiction would work. I'm thinking along the lines of "let A and B be open disjoint sets in X = Rn \ {x} whose union is X. Let A be the one containing an open neighbourhood of x, and consider A' = (A [itex]\cup[/itex] \{ x \}) and B. Then A' and B are open sets in Rn and their union is Rn, proving that Rn is disconnected.

Hey,

Thanks for your ideas! Using the second idea you mentioned, I was able to write up a proof using the definition. The proof was not as simple I expected. So yeah, now I'm going to do the path-connected business. :rofl:

1. How do you define "connected" in the context of R^n\{x}?

In mathematics, a set is considered connected if it cannot be divided into two non-empty subsets that are both open and disjoint. In other words, there are no breaks or gaps in the set and all points are reachable from any other point.

2. Why is it important to prove that R^n\{x} is connected?

Proving that R^n\{x} is connected is important for various reasons. One of the main reasons is that it helps to understand the structure and properties of the set. It also allows for the application of various mathematical theorems and concepts that rely on the connectedness of a set.

3. What are the key steps in proving the connectedness of R^n\{x}?

The key steps in proving the connectedness of R^n\{x} involve showing that the set is both open and closed, and that it cannot be divided into two disjoint subsets. This is often done by assuming the contrary and using proof by contradiction to arrive at a contradiction.

4. Are there any special cases or exceptions when proving the connectedness of R^n\{x}?

Yes, there are certain special cases and exceptions when proving the connectedness of R^n\{x}. One common exception is when the set is a single point, in which case it is trivially connected. Another exception is when the set is a line or curve, which may require a different approach to prove its connectedness.

5. What are some real-world applications of proving the connectedness of R^n\{x}?

The concept of connectedness is applicable in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, in physics, connectedness is used to study the behavior of particles and their interactions in a system. In engineering, it is used to analyze the stability and strength of structures. In computer science, connectedness is applied in network analysis and data clustering algorithms.