1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

R^n\{x} is connected

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to show that R^n\{x} where x could be any point in R^n is connected for n>1. I have been thinking about this for a while but haven't had any luck. Seems like that I'm missing something simple. I tried to construct a continuous map from R^n to R^n\{x}. All I came up was to send x to some other point y, but that map did not seem to be continuous. Any help is appreciated!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2011 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Isn't it easier to show that it is path-connected, which implies connected? You can easily find a path between any two points (take a straight line, if it crosses x then make a wobble around it) - I'll leave it up to you to formalise that argument.

If you insist on using the definition, maybe a proof by contradiction would work. I'm thinking along the lines of "let A and B be open disjoint sets in X = Rn \ {x} whose union is X. Let A be the one containing an open neighbourhood of x, and consider A' = (A [itex]\cup[/itex] \{ x \}) and B. Then A' and B are open sets in Rn and their union is Rn, proving that Rn is disconnected.

4. Oct 27, 2011 #3
    Hey,

Thanks for your ideas! Using the second idea you mentioned, I was able to write up a proof using the definition. The proof was not as simple I expected. So yeah, now I'm going to do the path-connected business. :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook