R.S Cahn/Ingold Nomenclature Help

In summary, the rules for assigning priority when there are double and triple bonds in the substituents differ between functional groups. In this problem, the CN has multiple bonds, which means it has higher priority than the CH2NH2.
Sslsn
Here is the problem: http://i.imgur.com/Eltwj.png

I understand the nomenclature rules but this problem has been confusing me. From my understanding, the CH2NH2 would have a higher priority than the CN, because of the hydrogens. This wold mean that if I rotated the lowest priority back (the #4 hydrogen shown in the pic below), it would be S. But the answer key says that the CN has higher priority than the CH2NH2, and that the configuration is R.

Here is my attempt: http://i.imgur.com/gbxnA.png

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to assume we have not learned yet (It's not even mentioned in the chapter). Is this common in an organic chem class?

There is a rule about assigning priority when there are double and triple bonds in the substituents. Ever heard of that?

yes, but there are only single bonds in that problem

CN has multiple bonds.

is there a way to determine that without going through formal charges?

Formal charges? Why are you talking about them here? See the structure of CN and use the rule i said a couple of posts ago.

how can you easily tell if the bonds in the diagram are single double or triple (C=N and not C-N)?

Just try to satisfy the valencies of the respective atoms + A little textbook wisdom will do. Most of the bonds can easily be determined just by valency, but some may deceive, especially the co-ordinate bonds. That is where you jot them down and learn them.

In chemistry, life can be much simpler if you just rote learn some exceptional cases. Saves you the trouble.

i thought multiple bonds would be given, and to just assume they are all sigma if not.

but i guess not

Sslsn said:
i thought multiple bonds would be given, and to just assume they are all sigma if not.

but i guess not

O Chem is a good place not to make assumptions, especially in the early stages. The rules are semi intuitive but are still made by man. Ask yourself questions about what you are looking at. Learning to recognize functional groups as they are written in the -COOH and -OH form or carboxylic acid and hydroxyl *might* help you see what you are looking at without having to count electrons and formal charges. Will you be taking the second semester?

What is R.S Cahn/Ingold Nomenclature?

R.S Cahn/Ingold Nomenclature is a system used to name and classify organic compounds based on the relative position of substituents on a molecule. It was developed by chemists Robert Sidney Cahn and Christopher Ingold in the 1950s.

Why is R.S Cahn/Ingold Nomenclature important?

R.S Cahn/Ingold Nomenclature allows for a systematic and unambiguous way to name organic compounds, which is essential for communication among scientists. It also provides information about the stereochemistry of a molecule, which is important for understanding its physical and chemical properties.

How does R.S Cahn/Ingold Nomenclature work?

R.S Cahn/Ingold Nomenclature is based on the use of priority rules to determine the relative positions of substituents on a molecule. The substituents are ranked based on atomic number, with higher atomic number taking priority. The molecule is then rotated so that the lowest priority substituent is pointing away from the viewer, and the remaining three substituents are arranged in order of priority. The R (rectus) and S (sinister) designations are then assigned based on the direction of the lowest priority substituent in relation to the other three.

What are the limitations of R.S Cahn/Ingold Nomenclature?

One limitation of R.S Cahn/Ingold Nomenclature is that it can only be applied to molecules with four different substituents attached to a central carbon atom. It also does not provide information about the absolute configuration of a molecule, as it is based on relative positions of substituents. Additionally, some compounds may have multiple stereoisomers that cannot be distinguished using this system.

Are there any alternatives to R.S Cahn/Ingold Nomenclature?

Yes, there are other systems for naming and classifying organic compounds, such as the IUPAC system and the traditional system using common names. However, R.S Cahn/Ingold Nomenclature is widely used in organic chemistry and is considered the most systematic and precise method for naming compounds with stereoisomers.