1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

R = sA + tB vector equation

1. Feb 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let A and B be the two points with position vectors A and B. Show that the line passing through thezse points may be represented by the vector equation:

R = sA + tB

2. Relevant equations
    R = Ro + tV
    where Ro is a point on the line and t is some scalar, and V is a vector pointing in the direction of the line.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried writing R = A + t(A - B)
    and R = B + s(A - B), and manipulating the equations, however, i dont find the solution they are looking for. Could someone please help me get started on this? thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It would help a lot if you said what s and t are! One thing I note is that they cannot be independent parameters- two parameters would give the equation of a plane. I notice that if s= 0 and t= 1, then R= B. And if s= 1 and t= 0, R= A. In order that this give a line the equation relating s and t must be linear. Now, what linear function, s= at+ b, gives s= 0 when t= 1 and s= 1 when t= 0? I think there is a good change that when you get the answer you will say, "Oh, of course!"

4. Feb 24, 2008 #3
    s + t = 1 is the relationship i suppose, however, I cannot use this to show the desired relationship. Is it a matter of manipulating the equations i came up with, or should I try something else? Also, thank you for the help

5. Feb 24, 2008 #4
    Okay, so you know R = A + t(A - B) is the equation of the line, right? Play around with this and see if you can't get it to look something like something*A + something*B.

6. Feb 24, 2008 #5
    R = B + sA - sB = B(1-s)+ sA = Bt + sA.
    Indeed, thanks a lot for all the help!

7. Feb 25, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Would the "manipulation" going from s+ t= 1 to s= 1- t be too difficult? Replace s by 1- t in your equation and see what happens.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?