Calculating Solutions for Second-Order Differential Equations

• Thread starter luckis11
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of solving a differential equation. The initial question asks for a specific method to solve it, but the respondent explains that just knowing the answer without understanding the method is useless. They also mention that the solution can be expressed in terms of elementary functions and suggest researching related topics. The conversation then shifts to discussing the use of Wolfram Alpha and Mathematica to solve the equation. The respondent shares a solution from Mathematica and explains how it can be used to find the trajectory in terms of inverse functions. They also provide a simple example of solving a differential equation and compare the analytical and numerical solutions. They offer to share the link to the Mathematica differential equation calculator via private message.
luckis11
My question is the title of the thread.

Sorry, and this one too:
f’’(t)=GM/((Α-f(t))^2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I want the answer, not the method to solve it. Thanks though.

Mark44 said:
Integrate twice with respect to t to get r(t).

It's a differential equation, you can't just "integrate twice"! (The right-hand side depends on r).

The solution r(t)=(x(t), y(t), z(t)) is not expressible in terms of elementary functions. What you can do is find the trajectory y=y(x), z=0. (by a suitable choice of the orthonormal basis).
The result is a parabola, an ellipse or an hyperbole, depending on initial conditions. Try googling:

"Motion in central gravitational field"
"Motion of planets"
"Euler's trajectory of a planet"

Etc.

luckis11 said:
Why? Knowing an answer without knowing how to get it is useless.

I thought you have calculators. You know any free online one except wolframalfa?

luckis11 said:
That's not how this forum works. Instead, you show that you have made an effort and we help you with it.

I think the solution can be expressed implicitly in terms of elementary functions. It's just the case of independent variable missing so for [itex]y''=-k/y^2[/itex], let [itex]p=y'[/itex] and arrive at:

[tex]p\frac{dp}{dy}=-\frac{k}{y^2}[/tex]

Now the variables can be separated and now you can integrate twice. Hope that's ok to help him this way.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
That's not how this forum works. Instead, you show that you have made an effort and we help you with it.

I hope it is not you contacting them and me mentioning it who is responsible that the wolframalfa is not giving the solution now whereas a couple of days ago it did. There are researchers out there that calculating it by hand is a sheer waste of time and energy.

No, I have never contacted those folks, and I doubt that it would give you two different answers to the same problem.

Check the attached file in the present post. It has the wolframalfa solutions it gave me a couple of days ago.

At the case which of f’’(t)=GM/((A-f(t))^2, I entered f’’(t)=2/((5-f(t))^2, The initial conditions are f(0)=0 and f'(0)=0, therefore c1=c2=0. But that solution gives...? (-4)/(-4)=t^2 and no f(t)=...?
Now it gives me the answer again! here it is:
(sqrt(c_1) sqrt(f(t)-5) (c_1 (f(t)-5)-4)+4 sqrt(c_1 (f(t)-5)-4) log(2 (c_1 sqrt(f(t)-5)+sqrt(c_1) sqrt(c_1 (f(t)-5)-4))))^2/(c_1^3 (c_1 (f(t)-5)-4)) = (c_2+t)^2

At the case of r’’(t)=-GM/((r(t))^2, if I remember well I entered GM=2 again. Here
r(0)=A and r'(0)=0, thus c1=c2=A/2. Hm...this seems to have a solution r(t)=... so the first equation is ... impossible?
It still does not give me the answer for this one now.

Attachments

• wolframalfa solutions.JPG
    wolframalfa solutions.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:
Wolfram Alpha is only a sub-set of Mathematica. Ver 7, gives:

DSolve[y''[x]==-k/y[x]^2,y,x]

as:

[tex]
\begin{aligned}&
\text{Solve}\biggr[\left(-\frac{1}{C[1]^{3/2}}k \text{Log}\left[2 k+2 C[1] y[x]+2 \sqrt{C[1]} \sqrt{C[1]+\frac{2 k}{y[x]}} y[x]\right]+\frac{\sqrt{C[1]+\frac{2 k}{y[x]}} y[x]}{C[1]}\right)^2\right.== \\
&\hspace{200pt}\left.(x+C[2])^2,y[x]\biggr]
\end{aligned}
[/tex]

That is, Mathematica is giving the solution as an implicit inverse via the Solve function.

Can you post the link of that Mathematica dif. eq. calculator?

That output above is from Mathematica 7 (my copy) which Mathematica expresses in terms of logs I believe it does so to handle all possible cases. However below, a particular IVP is in arctan.

Luckis, as you can see, sometimes the answer is not enough. You still need to understand all the underlying math to really handle it well. Let's look at a simple IVP just for starters:

[tex]y''=-\frac{2}{y^2},\quad y(0)=2,y'(0)=0[/tex]

Letting [itex]p=y'[/itex], I get:

[tex]pdp=-\frac{2}{y^2}dy[/tex]

Now integrate from y(0) to some y(x):

[tex]\int_{p(0)}^{p(x)} pdp=-\int_{y(0)}^{y(x)} \frac{2}{y^2}dy[/tex]

[tex]p^2-p(0)^2=4(1/y-1/2)[/tex]

or:

[tex]\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2=4(1/y-1/2)[/tex]

taking the square root and integrating again:

[tex]\int_{y(0)}^{y(x)}\frac{dy}{\sqrt{4(1/y-1/2)}}=\pm \int_{x_0}^x xdx[/tex]

doing that integration, making the substitutions and simplifying (the result below is from Mathematica), I get:

[tex]-\frac{\sqrt{-1+\frac{2}{y}} y+\text{ArcTan}\left[\frac{\sqrt{-1+\frac{2}{y}} (-1+y)}{-2+y}\right]}{\sqrt{2}}\biggr|_{2}^{y(x)}=\pm x[/tex]

which in this case, it's in the form of arctan and note it's improper at the lower limit so I take it's limit at that value and obtain [itex]\frac{\pi}{2\sqrt{2}}[/itex]. Now, I can take either the plus or minus value. Here, I'll take the positive value because that's what agrees with the numerical calculations (below) and I get for the final answer:

[tex]\left(\frac{\sqrt{-1+\frac{2}{y}} y+\text{ArcTan}\left[\frac{\sqrt{-1+\frac{2}{y}} (-1+y)}{-2+y}\right]}{\sqrt{2}}\right)+\frac{\pi }{2 \text{Sqrt}[2]}=x[/tex]

and that's still not too bad because it's easy to generate a table of (x,y) values and compare to the numerical results. In the plot below, the analytical solution is depicted as dots along the numerical one:
Code:
mysol = NDSolve[{Derivative[2][y][x] == -2/y[x]^2, y[0] == 2, 
    Derivative[1][y][0] == 0}, y, {x, 0, 2}]

lowy = N[y[1] /. mysol]

mytable = Table[
   {(Sqrt[-1 + 2/y]*y + ArcTan[(Sqrt[-1 + 2/y]*(-1 + y))/
         (-2 + y)])/Sqrt[2] + Pi/(2*Sqrt[2]), y}, 
   {y, lowy[[1]], 2, 0.01}]

lp1 = ListPlot[mytable]

pp1 = Plot[y[x] /. mysol, {x, 0, 2}]

Show[{pp1, lp1}]

Edit: I think I may have a problem with signs above. Probably need to go over that but I'll leave a careful check of it to the interested reader.

Attachments

• de5.jpg
    de5.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
Can you post the link of that Mathematica dif. eq. calculator? Private message will do fine.

1. What does the formula "R’’(t)= -GM/(r(t))^2" represent?

The formula represents the second derivative of the position function "r(t)" for an object in circular motion, where R represents the centripetal acceleration, G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the central body, and r(t) is the distance between the object and the central body at time t.

2. How is the distance "r(t)" calculated using the formula "R’’(t)= -GM/(r(t))^2"?

The distance "r(t)" can be calculated by taking the square root of the negative value of the ratio between the universal gravitational constant (G) and the second derivative of the position function (R’’(t)). This represents the inverse relationship between the acceleration and the distance, where the distance decreases as the acceleration increases.

3. What is the significance of the minus sign in the formula "R’’(t)= -GM/(r(t))^2"?

The minus sign represents the direction of the centripetal acceleration, which always points towards the center of the circular motion. This indicates that the acceleration is always directed towards the central body, regardless of the direction of motion of the object.

4. How does the mass of the central body affect the formula "R’’(t)= -GM/(r(t))^2"?

The mass of the central body (M) has a direct relationship with the acceleration (R’’(t)) in the formula, where a larger mass will result in a larger acceleration and a smaller mass will result in a smaller acceleration. This is due to the fact that the gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to their masses.

5. Can the formula "R’’(t)= -GM/(r(t))^2" be used for non-circular motion?

No, the formula is specifically for an object in circular motion. For non-circular motion, the distance (r(t)) would change as the object moves, and the formula would need to be modified to account for this change in distance.