R-Value Dimensional Analysis

In summary: Sorry.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the R-value, or thermal resistance, for a ceiling in a cold climate. The equation for R-value is given and the book provides the necessary conversion factors for solving for the thickness of two materials, polyurethane foam and silver. The student encounters difficulties due to mixed units and ultimately solves the problem by converting units and canceling out terms. The question of whether the R-value of 30 is given in US or SI units is raised, but it is implied that it is in US units.
contrivance

Homework Statement

The ceiling of a single-family dwelling in a cold climate should have an R-value of 30. To give such insulation, how thick would a layer of (a) polyurethane foam and (b) silver have to be?
per my book (W/mK)
[tex] k_p = 0.024[/tex]
[tex] k_s = 428[/tex]

Homework Equations

This is Thermal Resistance to Conduction (R-Value) and the equation is:
[tex] R={\frac{L}{k}} [/tex]
The 'R-Value' units per my book are
[tex] {\frac {ft^2 F^{\circ} h}{Btu}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that I would just solve for L and find the thickness of each material, although I ran into the problem with mixed units (F, Btu, Ft). The solutions manual simply lays down a dimensional analysis, although I'm having trouble following it and getting the same resulting unit.

For Poly:

[tex]
({\frac{0.024W}{mK}})
({\frac{30ft^2 F^{\circ} h}{Btu}})
({\frac{m}{3.281ft}})^2
({\frac{5C^{\circ}}{9F^{\circ}}})
({\frac{3600s}{h}})
({\frac{Btu}{1055J}})
[/tex]

EDIT
Heh, as I was writing this, I figured it out. I wasn't thinking very carefully about which units cancel. So i'll finish anyways:

After cancelling most of the obvious stuff, we end up with (taking out numbers for analysis):

[tex]
{\frac{Wm^2sC^{\circ}}{mKJ}}
[/tex]
Which is where I was stuck, so there are two things here:

1. Rewrite C in K, and then they cancel
2. Rewrite J as W=J/s and then cancel.

We end up with m, which is the thickness (L) for the original question.

Now, my question is: How was I to assume that the R-Value '30' was in US units instead of SI units as my book has no mention of this value in SI units? Wouldn't it just be 1 h·ft²·°F/Btu = 0.176110 K·m²/W? (per wikipedia)

Physics news on Phys.org
contrivance said:
How was I to assume that the R-Value '30' was in US units instead of SI units
Just the way things are.

What is R-Value Dimensional Analysis?

R-Value Dimensional Analysis is a mathematical technique used in science to convert between different units of measurement. It is based on the concept of ratios and proportions, and is commonly used to convert between units of length, mass, time, temperature, and many other dimensions.

Why is R-Value Dimensional Analysis important in science?

R-Value Dimensional Analysis is important because it allows scientists to compare and analyze data that may be measured in different units. This helps to ensure accurate and meaningful results, and allows for easier communication and collaboration among scientists from different fields.

How is R-Value Dimensional Analysis used in real-world applications?

R-Value Dimensional Analysis is used in a wide range of real-world applications, such as engineering, medicine, and environmental science. For example, it is used to convert between units of distance in navigation, to calculate drug dosages in medicine, and to analyze air pollutants in environmental studies.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using R-Value Dimensional Analysis?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using R-Value Dimensional Analysis include using the wrong conversion factor, forgetting to include units in calculations, and incorrectly canceling out units. It is important to carefully check units and conversions to ensure accurate results.

Are there any limitations to R-Value Dimensional Analysis?

While R-Value Dimensional Analysis is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. It may not be applicable to all types of measurements, such as logarithmic or exponential values. Additionally, it relies on accurate conversion factors, which may not always be available or may change over time.