1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

R-value insulation problem

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The ceiling of a single-family dwelling in a cold climate should have an R-value of 25. To give such insulation, how thick would a layer have to be if it were made of each of the following materials?

(a) polyurethane foam (thermal conductivity k = 0.024 W/m · K)

2. Relevant equations
    R = L/k

L = length(thickness)
    k = thermal conductivity

3. The attempt at a solution

Rk = L
    25(.024) = .6m

My homework is telling me that I'm wrong and I have no idea why. This seems like a pretty simple and straight forward question. Can anyone help point out where I'm going wrong? Please!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Re: R-values

For starters, something must be wrong with that equation because the units don't work out. If R is a dimensionless number, then L and k would have the same units. But they clearly don't. So what's missing? Either there's some part of the formula you haven't written, or one of those numbers (R, L, or k, and I'm guessing R) has different units than you've stated.

4. Nov 23, 2009 #3

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Could it be a confusion of units? Apparently the USA has an R value in ft²·°F·h/Btu rather than the SI units used in the rest of the world. Nice article on it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-value_(insulation)

5. Nov 29, 2009 #4

Ah yes the units is the problem. However, now I'm having trouble converting it..here is what I did and it didn't produce the correct answer:

.024[W/(m)(K)] x [(.3048m)^2]/1ft^2 x [(1.8K)/1 F] x (1 Btu/1055 J) x [(3600s)/1hr]

where F = fahrenheit

6. Nov 30, 2009 #5

Delphi51

Homework Helper

According to the wikipedia article
    Can you use this to convert the given R = 25? Is that 25 in metric or US units?

7. Nov 30, 2009 #6

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Why (0.3048m)^2/1ft^2 and not 0.3048m/1ft?

8. Nov 30, 2009 #7

because R is given as 25 [(ft^2 * F * hr)/ (Btu)]

9. Nov 30, 2009 #8

and yes, I think that I can you use that conversion. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook