1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

R[x] UFD, then R UFD

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assuming R is an integral domain. If the polynomial ring of one variable, R[x], is a unique factorization domain, then R is a unique factorization domain.

3. The attempt at a solution

Should be straightforward...so much so that I don't know how to start...probably with a homomorphism...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2009 #2
    An integral domain is a UFD iff every reducible element has a unique factorization. So consider an arbitrary reducible element [itex]a \in R[/itex]. Then a is an element of R[x] of degree 0, and since R[x] is a UFD a must have a unique factorization in R[x]. Can you from this unique factorization conclude that it has a unique factorization in R? (HINT: If [itex]a = a_1a_2\cdots a_n[/itex] is [itex]a_i \in R[/itex] for all i?)

4. Nov 23, 2009 #3
    There is an inclusion of R into R[x] (in fact, and isomorphic copy of R in R[x]), so define a property on R[x] s..t p(y) iff y has a unique factorization. Then p(z) for all z in R[x], (including the irreducibles, since in this case the factorization of x = x and is unique by irreducibility). This includes those z which are in R. But all r in R are in R[x].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook