1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

R0lle's Theorem

1. Aug 26, 2008 #1
    Use Rolle's theorem to show that [tex]g(x) = 3x^4 +4x^3 +6x^2 -3[/tex] has exactly two real roots.

3. The attempt at a solution:

Rolle's theorem states that if g is continious on the closed interval [a,b] and differentiable on the open interval (a,b). Assuming that g(a) = g(b). Then g'(x0) = 0 for at least one point x0 in (a,b).

Looking at the derivative of that function:
    [tex]g'(x) = 12x^3 + 12x^2 + 12x[/tex]

the function is equal to zero when;
    [tex]12x^3 + 12x^2 + 12x = 0[/tex]
    [tex]x (x^2 + x + 1) = 0[/tex]

I used the quadratic formula and I believe x^2 + x + 1 has no real roots which means x = 0 is the only real root for the derivative function. Thus x = 0 is the only "stationary point" on the curve for the original function g(x).

I only found one stationary point! How does this show that "there can be at most 2 real roots"?

How can I use Rolle's theorem to prove that g has at most two real roots?

(I believe at x = 0 the function is negative and it perhaps crosses the x-axis but I don't know how to find the coordinates of the roots!)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

higher-order version?

Hi roam! :smile:

:confused: the only thing I can think of is that perhaps they mean the higher-order version of Rolle's theorem …

If g(a) = g(b) = g(c) with a < b < c, then there must be an x with a < x < c and g''(x) = 0.

4. Aug 26, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't know if you have really "used" Rolles theorem but it is true that y'= 0 only at x= 0. Now, look at x= 1. y'(1)= 1(12+ 1+ 1)= 3> 0. Since y'= 0 only at 0 (and y' is continuous) that tells that y'> 0 and y is increasing for all x> 0. Look at x= -1. y'(-1)= (-1)((-1)2+ (-1)+ 1)= (-1)(1)= -1< 0. That tells you that y'< 0 and y is decreasing for all x< 0. That should be enough to tell you that y cannot have more than rwo zeros.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?