Graph Right Ascension & Declination on Globe Graph

• Thread starter Commodore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Declination
In summary, the teacher gave us a blank map and asked us to find two specific points on it. We then used the coordinates to find our longitude and latitude.
Commodore
Can anyone explain how to graph Right Ascension and Declination on a globe graph?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Do you know how longitude and latitude are plotted on a globe? Right Ascension is like longitude and Declination is like latitude.

I understand that it is like longitude and latitude, but if I am presented with a blank map of the night sky and am asked to find what is at some number RA and Dec, how do I start, RA or Dec? And, does it matter where I am starting from?

Commodore said:
I understand that it is like longitude and latitude, but if I am presented with a blank map of the night sky and am asked to find what is at some number RA and Dec, how do I start, RA or Dec? And, does it matter where I am starting from?

What do you mean, a "blank map?" How is a blank map useful?

If you're given a map with coordinates on it, all you need to do is... find the spot with the given coordinates. You can start with either coordinate first. When you find the right RA, you've found a specific line of "longitude." You can then follow that line until you find the given declination.

- Warren

The zero-point on the RA and Dec grid is the first point of Aries (the location of the sun in the sky on the Vernal equinox). RA follows the direction of the celestial equator (the projection of Earth's equator in the sky) and Dec goes perpendicular to that.

chroot said:
What do you mean, a "blank map?" How is a blank map useful?

If you're given a map with coordinates on it, all you need to do is... find the spot with the given coordinates. You can start with either coordinate first. When you find the right RA, you've found a specific line of "longitude." You can then follow that line until you find the given declination.

- Warren

The teacher gave us a blank circle with the Vernal Equinox line and the Celestial Equator listed, no other grid lines or way to measure degrees and said put a dot at the such and such RA and Dec points. Is it just me or was this kind of crazy?

You could always estimate, but you might not be very accurate.

- Warren

1. What is right ascension and declination on a globe graph?

Right ascension and declination are two coordinates used to locate celestial objects on a globe graph. Right ascension measures an object's east-west position on the celestial sphere, while declination measures its north-south position.

2. How is right ascension and declination represented on a globe graph?

Right ascension is typically represented by lines of longitude on a globe graph, while declination is represented by lines of latitude.

3. What is the purpose of graphing right ascension and declination on a globe graph?

The purpose of graphing right ascension and declination on a globe graph is to visually represent the locations of celestial objects in the sky. This can help astronomers and researchers study the movements and positions of these objects.

4. How are the coordinates of right ascension and declination measured?

Right ascension is measured in hours, minutes, and seconds, while declination is measured in degrees, arcminutes, and arcseconds. Both coordinates are measured relative to the celestial equator and the vernal equinox.

5. Can right ascension and declination be converted to other coordinate systems?

Yes, right ascension and declination can be converted to other coordinate systems such as equatorial coordinates and ecliptic coordinates. This allows for easier comparison and analysis of celestial objects in different coordinate systems.