Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rachel Corrie

1. Sep 2, 2003 #1
    Rachel Corrie was a girl who found a cause and was brave enough to sacrifice her life to it. She was trying to prevent the Israeli military destroying the homes of Palestinian civilians, and they ran over her with a bulldozer. Here you can read her first-hand reports of what she witnessed in Israel.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,916246,00.html

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2003 #2
    Well, Israeli troops have a long history of violence towards anyone who is not Israeli. It is a result, I think, of living uinder siege for so long, that they have been forced into a 'practical sociopathy', in which anyone who is not Israeli, or a supporter of Israel, isn't actually human.

4. Sep 2, 2003 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I guess her mother forgot to teach her that standing in front of heavy machinery is inherrently dangerous.

I do feel for her parents, but she was a stupid, stupid girl.

5. Sep 3, 2003 #4
    Yep, standing up for anything but cash is stupid, stupid.

6. Sep 3, 2003 #5

kat

Yeah, I have to agree, she should be martyred for standing up and protecting those tunnels used for smuggling arms and drugs. Oh, wait, she already was martyred in the Name of Allah, the Merciful, the Most Merciful! “Bismillah arahman araheem”

7. Sep 3, 2003 #6
    I'd love to see your source. I can already see your anti-Islamic bias.

8. Sep 3, 2003 #7

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh but the oringal reason for the demolition was given as that they needed to clear a line of site between the Egyptian border and an Israeli watchtower and that house was only one in a 100m strip that was being destroyed. Also you'll note that no tunnel was found.

9. Sep 3, 2003 #8
    One of teh biggest problems I see in Israeli-Palestinian confrontations is that the Israelis can shoot anyone over the age of 14, and label them a 'combatant', and there is no one who checks behind that.

10. Sep 3, 2003 #9
    and i can't rightly see how she would be "martyred in the Name of Allah" when she was not even a Muslum.

11. Sep 3, 2003 #10

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are human rights groups like B'Tselem that attempt to document all the deaths, the problem is that in general this doesn't filter through to the American public and in general they are ignorant of the realities on the ground there.

12. Sep 3, 2003 #11
    Well, there are some people who feel that if you don't support Israel's right bulldoze people's homes, and the people too if they are stupid enough to stand up for themselves, then you are an anti-semitic millitant Muslim.
    You know, the way Bush and Co. call anyone who doesn't agree with him 100% a traitor.

13. Sep 3, 2003 #12
    Would like to know exactly how someone got run over by a bulldozer, not like you can't see it coming, not like the operator wouldn't have known that someone was standing there, or that they were crushing them.

I have driven them so I have some idea of the lines of site, anyone know what make, or model, it was?? cause you gotta be "pretty stupid", and/or reckless, to run someone over with one.

14. Sep 3, 2003 #13
    I get teh feeling that the Israelis and Palestinians have something in common; there are some in each group that simply do not value the lives of others. The only difference is, Israelis do value thier own lives pretty highly...probably because they have taken nearly everything that the Palestinians had.

15. Sep 3, 2003 #14

kat

16. Sep 3, 2003 #15
    "facts" turring some like some comment about her dieing while trying to stop pallistine homes from being bulldozed into being a martyr "in Name of Allah" eh? i would hate to see what you consider propaganda.

as for your question Mr. Robin Parsons, it was a pretty big bulldozer:

http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article1248.shtml

17. Sep 3, 2003 #16

kat

I'm sorry, exactly what about Rachel being martyred in the Palistinian Martyr parade is not fact in your view? And exactly what about "In the name of Allah" don't you believe is fact when it comes to being martyred? do you think it was in the name of jesus? eh?

18. Sep 4, 2003 #17
    I'd love to know your sources...still waiting to know where you dug up that 'Palestinain tunnel' reference. Oh, and the arms and drugs thing would be interesting too...I haven't seen Palestinian drug lords on TV driving in shiny Cadillacs.

19. Sep 4, 2003 #18
    You imply that her goal was to die for propaganda purposes...

20. Sep 4, 2003 #19
    no i'm sorry, i didn't make any such claim.

yet only religious zealots get martyred in the name of their god and sense the girl was not even a Muslim i hardly see how your claims are founded.

no i don't, and i don't understand your line of questioning here either. are you saying that you believe it has to be one or the other?

21. Sep 4, 2003 #20
    Thanks! good reference, and clearly, the driver acted willingly/negligently/purposefully/and murderously
    Sick individual. (not a nice way to die, compressed, I suspect)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?