Racism and the Race Card

• News
  • Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Read my original post about Palin that the left complain she had no experience to be a VICE presidential candidate!!! YOu cannot cut both ways.
I don't think there was a large contingent complaining about her experience, but rather about the fact that she seemed generally un-knowledgable and incompetent.

I hope this doesn't wander too far...I found the paper very interesting.

http://dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/handle/1/3352700/Gay_SeeingDifference.pdf?sequence=2

"Antagonism toward Latinos is believed to emerge, at least in part, from African
Americans’ fears of displacement or loss due to the advancement of an out-group competitor.
The fear, as one African American described it, is that Latinos are “taking the food from black
children” (quoted in Vaca 2003, 5).
The conceptualization of black-Latino conflict as being conditional on blacks’ fears of
material deprivation prompts the question of what factors can amplify or neutralize these fears of
displacement. In addition to a variety of individual-level correlates, researchers have sought to
link the environment in which blacks live to their levels of anxiety about and hostility toward
other minority groups (Bobo and Hutchings 1996; Bobo and Johnson 2000; Cain, Citrin, and
Wong 2000; Cummings and Lambert 1997; Oliver and Wong 2003; Sears et al. 1999). To date,
the primary emphasis has been on the racial composition of the environment, with fears of black
displacement purported to increase with the size of the Latino population in the area."

Could it be that racism itself is an unintended consequence of the welfare state?