Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rack Capacity

1. Nov 12, 2015 #1
    I have posted a couple times about this but i keep changing my mind on my racking. Now i am thinking a taller rather than wider racking system. It would be a rectangular prism about 10ft tall and 3ft wide. There will also be a shelf about every 28 inches.

Now in order to solve the capacity of this i can easily look up the compression load allowed for the tubing uprights but i know the cross beams for the shelvs should strengthen it, i just don't know how to factor that in.

thanks in advance!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Nov 30, 2015 #3
    What shape will your beams be? More hollow tube?

A shelf with that small of a profile will have more than enough capacity with steel or even aluminum tubing. You should concern yourself with ensuring that there is enough weld or bolt strength connecting the shelf beams to the edge beams and then to the uprights.

If you are worried about strength of each shelf, though, a 2"x1"x1/8" steel tube at the third points and edges is more than enough for a few hundred lbs per shelf. Xj6TWlP.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook