Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Racoons and such!

1. Aug 18, 2008 #1

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How do you stop them from going to your garbage bag?

At my other house, we would just scare the living hell of them and they never came back. (Used paintball guns.) Just now that's a little difficult.

They are destroying all the garbage bags and it's just darn annoying. Any tricks?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2008 #2
    if you cut your hair save the clippings and sprinkle the hair around the bags the human scent should keep them away

4. Aug 18, 2008 #3

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Keep the barrel inside. Put any decomposable meat/bone/scales trash in a bag in the door of the freezer until trash day. Rinse milk cartons. Then put the lot outside with the trash.

So long as they don't have a key to your house or know to look in the freezer you should be in good shape.

5. Aug 18, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

The hair clippings ...?

Maybe in the movies. [The Rookie]

6. Aug 18, 2008 #5
    no really ive done it before

7. Aug 18, 2008 #6
    the scent keeps them away

8. Aug 18, 2008 #7

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

And your explanation for why they would open diapers up?

9. Aug 18, 2008 #8
    theyre curious!?

10. Aug 18, 2008 #9
    Srpinkle diuretics into the trash. :devil:

11. Aug 18, 2008 #10
    Kill them.

All.

12. Aug 18, 2008 #11
    any way that is more humane?!

13. Aug 18, 2008 #12
    what are diuretics?

14. Aug 18, 2008 #13
    Publicly humiliate them infront of their fellow racoons so dont show their face around there anymore?

You could also slice and dice their heads off with that hovercraft of yours....-im just saying.

15. Aug 18, 2008 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Search on hovercrafts, Danger knows a lot about them.

Jason, you'll need those trash cans with the locking lids. The racoons will still know the cans over for awhile, but won't be able to get them open. You're going to have to get a GOOD locking can, but it will pay for itself by saving you from repacking nasty garbage.

16. Aug 18, 2008 #15

Evo

Diuretics make you urinate.

17. Aug 18, 2008 #16
    thanks evo

18. Aug 18, 2008 #17

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

The raccoons (and squirrels too) in these parts knaw through the plastic. I had a fine hinged lid can ... once. Now it looks like a reject from demolition derby suitable for collecting lawn trash. They knaw on the plastic gasoline can too. Maybe they just like plastic.

So I keep mine inside the porch door, until the daylight hours of trash day. To eliminate odor I put meat scraps in the freezer and rinse milk cartons. There's easier pickings elsewhere and I don't see them except for the trash they leave up the street.

19. Aug 18, 2008 #18

Evo

I'm sure you can still find metal trash cans with the locking lids, that's what my parents used to have.

20. Aug 18, 2008 #19
    human hair human hair human hair human hair human hair works im telling the truth!!!

21. Aug 18, 2008 #20
    it does

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?