Solving Bacterial Motor Angular Speed and Time for One Revolution

In summary, bacteria can be propelled by motors that spin hair-like flagella. A typical bacterial motor has a radius of 1.8x10-8m and a tangential speed of 1.8x10-5 m/s. To calculate the angular speed, the formula is Vt = rw. For part (a), the angular speed is 1000rad/s. For part (b), the period can be calculated using the formula T = 2pi(r)/V, which gives us a result of 0.0063 seconds for one revolution.
neoncrazy101

Homework Statement

Some bacteria are propelled by motors that spin hair-like flagella. A typical bacterial motor turning at a constant angular velocity has a radius of 1.8x10-8m, and a tangential speed at the rim of 1.8x10-5 m/s. (a) What is the angular speed (the magnitude of the angular velocity) of this bacterial motor? (b) How long does it take the motor to make one revolution?

Homework Equations

Vt= rw
rad/s / 2pi = rev/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part A which is 1000rad/s. but Part B I can't get. If its supposed to be 1000/2pi = 159.15 then something is wrong. I know I'm missing something cause the answer my homework program is giving me is .0063s. So what equation should I be using?

Physics news on Phys.org
In part b, you are supposed to calculate how long it takes to make one revolution. What is the formula for calculating the period?

If you write the units of your answer for B, you will see that it is rev/s, not s/rev which is what the question is asking for. It should be pretty easy to convert that one.

SteamKing said:
In part b, you are supposed to calculate how long it takes to make one revolution. What is the formula for calculating the period?

T=(2pi(r))/V ?

If a shaft rotates at 10 revolutions per second, how long does each revolution take?

.1 seconds.

OH! I think I got it thanks.

So I take the 1000/2pi to get the 159.xxx and then do 1/159 = .0062893 and round to get .0063. thanks!

Last edited:

1. What is a bacterial motor?

A bacterial motor is a specialized structure found in certain types of bacteria, such as E. coli. It is responsible for the movement of the bacteria by rotating a long, whip-like tail called a flagellum.

2. Why is it important to understand bacterial motor angular speed and time for one revolution?

Understanding bacterial motor angular speed and time for one revolution can provide valuable insights into how bacteria move and navigate in their environment. This knowledge can also help in the development of new antimicrobial strategies and treatments for bacterial infections.

3. How is bacterial motor angular speed and time for one revolution measured?

Bacterial motor angular speed is typically measured using high-speed video microscopy, which captures the rotational movement of the motor. The time for one revolution can be calculated by measuring the time it takes for the motor to complete a full rotation.

4. What factors can affect bacterial motor angular speed and time for one revolution?

Several factors can influence bacterial motor angular speed and time for one revolution, including the type of bacteria, the composition and viscosity of the surrounding medium, and the presence of any external stimuli or signals that can affect the motor's function.

5. What are the potential applications of studying bacterial motor angular speed and time for one revolution?

Studying bacterial motor angular speed and time for one revolution can have various applications, including understanding bacterial motility and chemotaxis, developing new antibiotics or treatments for bacterial infections, and designing micro- and nanorobots inspired by bacterial motors for biomedical and engineering purposes.