1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radar and simple range problem

1. Dec 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Radar (radio wave) is placed 35m above sea level. Calculate working range of radar.

2. Relevant equations

So I have found various different formulas for range but they all are very complicated with respect to my example. I only have 1 known variable - height.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    There should be some kind of simple approximate formula. Can someone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not enough information to give even a ball park answer .

Have you some specific problem in mind ?

4. Dec 4, 2016 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Edit : Problematic link removed .

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  5. Dec 4, 2016 #4
    From my research on internet regarding this problem, I have the same opinion. But this example comes from school ( in topic elector magnetic waves) and therefore there should be some kind of simple answer.

6. Dec 4, 2016 #5

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

With no other information available all you can say is that radar detection of a target is achievable anywhere between the transmitter site and the horizon .

That is for a simple line of sight radar system of sufficient power and a sea level target with good signal reflection characteristics .

Different answers for airborne targets and/or more sophisticated radar systems .

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  7. Dec 4, 2016 #6

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just for interest : The radar horizon does not usually coincide exactly with the geometric horizon - radar horizon is usually further away - ie further around the Earth's curvature . How much depends on the sophistication of the radar system .

8. Dec 4, 2016 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My computer declares that site to be dangerous and says I should not access it under any circumstances.

9. Dec 4, 2016 #8

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Both AVG Pro and Windows Defender passed it as ok . To be safe though I've removed the link .

The actual book is still available - though it is a bit expensive : Introduction to Radar Systems - Skolnik - McGraw-Hill .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted