1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radial acceleration with earth

1. Oct 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Objects that are at rest relative to Earth's surface are in circular motion due to Earth's rotation. What is the radial acceleration of a painting hanging in a museum at a latitude of ϕ = 38.9° North? (Note that the object's radial acceleration is not directed toward the center of the Earth.)

2. Relevant equations

ac=v^2/r v=(4*Pi^2*r)/t^2
    3. The attempt at a solution

im not sure what i'm doing wrong, any help? look at the attachment for more information

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Could you perhaps provide a little more detail in your solution. I'm not quite sure where your pulling some of those numbers from.
  4. Oct 8, 2008 #3
    You forgot the square for pi (it's pi^2) and the units are mixed up.
    You use the period in hours. I cannot figure out what unit you use for the radius...
    Earth's radius is about 6400km (6.4 10^6 m). To get 10^13 we should measure it in fractions of microns or something....
  5. Oct 8, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The radius of the earth is not necessarily the radius of the circular path, in this case the radius of the path is significantly less than the radius of the earth.
  6. Oct 8, 2008 #5
    No doubt. But at this stage I was just trying to do some estimate to figure out where that big number comes from.
    Maybe the author will tell us himself.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?