Radial acceleration of a discus

In summary, the problem involves an athlete rotating a discus with a mass of 1.00kg along a circular path with a radius of 1.06m. The maximum speed of the discus is given as 20.0m/s. To determine the magnitude of the maximum radial acceleration, the formula ar = -ac = -(v^2/r) is used, resulting in a value of -377.358 m/s^2. The original answer given had a few minor errors, but was corrected after checking the textbook.
niyati
This may seem like a silly way to second-guess an answer, but the problem below seems to have an answer entirely too easy to obtain. o_O And I doubt that I'm getting any better.

An athlete rotates a 1.00-kg discus along a circular path of radius 1.06m. The maximum speed of the discus is 20.0m/s. Determine the magnitude of the maximum radial acceleration of the discus.

ar = -ac = -(v^2/r)
= -(20^2/1.06)
= -377.358 m/s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is as easy as it seems. (Maybe you're getting better despite yourself. :smile: ) Your answer is correct--except for the minus sign and carrying too many significant figures.

Ah, yes, I know about the extensive amount of decimal points, but I round at the end. XDDD

And, well, stupid mistake. XD I put parantheses around the fraction and then put the negative sign in my notes, but I checked back in my textbook after your reply and fixed it.

:)

Thank you!

1. What is the radial acceleration of a discus?

The radial acceleration of a discus is the acceleration experienced by the discus as it moves in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is dependent on the discus' speed and the radius of the circle.

2. How is the radial acceleration of a discus calculated?

The radial acceleration of a discus can be calculated using the formula: a = v^2/r, where a is the radial acceleration, v is the velocity of the discus, and r is the radius of the circle it is moving in.

3. What factors affect the radial acceleration of a discus?

The radial acceleration of a discus is affected by its speed and the radius of the circle it is moving in. It is also influenced by external forces such as air resistance and friction.

4. Why is the radial acceleration of a discus important in sports?

The radial acceleration of a discus is important in sports, particularly in discus throwing, as it determines the trajectory and distance the discus will travel. Athletes must be able to control and manipulate the radial acceleration to achieve optimal results.

5. How can the radial acceleration of a discus be increased?

The radial acceleration of a discus can be increased by increasing the discus' speed or decreasing the radius of the circle it is moving in. This can be achieved through proper technique and training, as well as using equipment such as weighted discs to improve muscle strength and speed.