1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radial acceleration

1. Aug 22, 2007 #1
    This may seem like a silly way to second-guess an answer, but the problem below seems to have an answer entirely too easy to obtain. o_O And I doubt that I'm getting any better.

An athlete rotates a 1.00-kg discus along a circular path of radius 1.06m. The maximum speed of the discus is 20.0m/s. Determine the magnitude of the maximum radial acceleration of the discus.

ar = -ac = -(v^2/r)
    = -(20^2/1.06)
    = -377.358 m/s^2

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The problem is as easy as it seems. (Maybe you're getting better despite yourself. :smile: ) Your answer is correct--except for the minus sign and carrying too many significant figures.

4. Aug 22, 2007 #3
    Ah, yes, I know about the extensive amount of decimal points, but I round at the end. XDDD

And, well, stupid mistake. XD I put parantheses around the fraction and then put the negative sign in my notes, but I checked back in my textbook after your reply and fixed it.

:)

Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?