Radial Acceleration of Point on Planet: Calculate Using v^2/r

In summary, the radial acceleration of a point on the surface of a planet with a radius of 5.53X10^6 m and a rotation period of 24.3 hours can be calculated using the formula v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the point and r is the radius of the planet. The velocity can be found using the distance traveled by a point on the equator in 24.3 hours, which is equal to the circumference of the planet. Therefore, v = 2pi(r)/t. Once v is determined, it can be plugged into the formula for radial acceleration.
portillj72
Consider a planet of radius 5.53X10^6 m with a rotation period of 24.3 hours. Compute the radial acceleration of a point on the surface of the planet at the equator due to its rotation about its axis.

What is the Radial Acceleration.

I found out that the formula for radial acceleration is v^2/r but I don't know how to make the problem fit into it!

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you find v? How far does a point on the equator travel in 24.3 hours? v=distance/time.

i don't get the distance. the only distance i get is the radius.

A point on the equator rotates around the planet once in 24.3 hours. What's the circumference of the planet? It is related to r.

ooo so then v = 2pi(r)/t
and then I can plug it in the original formula for the radial acceleration right?

thank you so much I got it!

1. What is radial acceleration?

Radial acceleration is the acceleration of an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle.

2. How is radial acceleration calculated?

Radial acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the radial acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circle.

3. Why is it important to calculate radial acceleration?

Calculating radial acceleration is important because it helps us understand the forces acting on an object in circular motion. It also allows us to determine the necessary speed and radius for an object to maintain a circular path.

4. How does radial acceleration affect an object?

Radial acceleration causes an object to constantly change its direction, resulting in circular motion. The larger the radial acceleration, the faster the object will move in its circular path.

5. Can radial acceleration be negative?

Yes, radial acceleration can be negative if the object is decelerating or slowing down in its circular motion. This happens when the velocity of the object decreases or when it is moving in the opposite direction of the center of the circle.