Car Radial and Tangential Acceleration

In summary, the car experiences an acceleration of 3.40m/s^2, 30.0º north of east, exactly halfway around the curve while turning from due South to due East. To find the radial and tangential components of the acceleration at this point, one can use trigonometry to break down the acceleration vector into its parallel and perpendicular components. The centripetal acceleration is in the direction E 45 degrees N and the net acceleration is E 30 degrees N. To find the tangential acceleration, one can use the formula a = (a_r^2 + a_t^2)^.5, with a_r = 3.28m/s and a = 3.40m/s, and
JeYo
A car speeds up as it turns from traveling due South to due East. Exactly halfway around the curve, the car's acceleration is 3.40m/s^2, 30.0º north of east.

We are supposed to find the radial and tangential components of the acceleration at the halfway point.

I thought that I could break the acceleration vector into its parallel and perpindicular components but I am not entirely sure of where the acceleration vector is located. I really would love a push in the direction of the answer because I know with a little push I can make most of the way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright, I figured out the radial component of the acceleration but I am still somewhat unable to figure out the tangential component of the acceleration.

Draw a picture... suppose it is driving on a circular path... going counterclockwise... it is initially at the west end of the circle going south... soon it will be south end of the circle going east...

so it is halfway between these two points... so it is south 45 degrees west. What is the direction of the centripetal acceleration?

what is the component of the given accleeration along this direction (that's the radial acceleration)... what is the component of the given acceleration perpendicular to this direction (that's the tangential acceleration).

I have a pretty good pictorial representation of the problem and I know in which directions and from whence the three vectors point. But the connection between these and the value has escaped me. Because I do not know how to find the numerical quantity that represents the tangential acceleration. I thought that maybe the a = (a_r^2 + a_t^2)^.5 would work if I used the value I found for a_r = 3.28m/s and the given value 3.40m/s for a. But it does not seem to work.

What you did should work... perhaps it's the decimal places.

The centripetal acceleration is in the direction E 45 degrees N. The net acceleration is E 30 degrees N.

you want to divide the net acceleration into two components... one along the line E 45 degrees N... and another perpendicular to that.

So you have a right triangle with an angle of 15 degrees.

a*cos(15) gives radial acceleration
a*sin(15) gives tangentail acceleration.

1. What is the difference between radial and tangential acceleration?

Radial acceleration is the change in speed of an object moving along a circular path, while tangential acceleration is the change in direction of an object moving along a curved path.

2. How are radial and tangential acceleration related?

Radial and tangential acceleration are both components of total acceleration, which is the overall change in velocity of an object. Radial acceleration is perpendicular to tangential acceleration in circular motion.

3. What is the formula for calculating radial and tangential acceleration?

The formula for radial acceleration is ar = v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circular path. The formula for tangential acceleration is at = aθ, where a is the angular acceleration and θ is the angle of rotation.

4. How do radial and tangential acceleration affect an object's motion?

Radial acceleration causes an object to change its speed while moving along a curved path, while tangential acceleration causes an object to change its direction or angle of rotation. Together, they determine the overall motion of an object in circular motion.

5. Can an object have zero radial or tangential acceleration?

Yes, an object can have zero radial or tangential acceleration if its motion is either along a straight path or at a constant speed along a circular path. In these cases, the total acceleration may still be non-zero if there is a change in speed or direction in other directions.