Radial and Transverse Forces Beer and Johnston 9th ed. 12.70

In summary, the given problem involves a collar sliding on a frictionless arm that is attached to a rotating drum. The collar moves outward with a constant speed, and we are asked to determine the time at which the tension in the cord is equal to the horizontal force exerted on the collar by the arm. Using Newton's second law and equilibrium conditions, we can write equations and solve for the time t, which is found to be 1.69 seconds.
jaredogden

Homework Statement

The 3 kg collar B slides on the frictionless arm AA'. The arm is attached to drum D and rotates about O in a horizontal plane at the rate dθ/dt = 0.75t, where dθ/dt and t are expressed in rad/s and seconds, respectively. As the arm-drum assembly rotates, a mechanism within the drum releases cord so that the collar moves outward from O with a constant speed of 0.5 m/s. Knowing that at t = 0, r = 0, determine the time at which the tension in the cord is equal to the magnitude of the horizontal force exerted on B by arm AA'.

Homework Equations

Fr = m(d2θ/dt2 - r(dθ/dt)2)
Fθ = m(rd2θ/dt2 + 2(dr/dt)(dθ/dt))
ƩF = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Fr = -T
r = (0.5 m/s)t
dr/dt = 0.5 m/s
d2r/dt = 0 m/s2
dθ/dt = (0.75 m/s)t
d2θ/dt = 0.75 m/s2

Fr = 3 kg(0 - 0.5t(0.75t)2)
Fr = -0.844t3

Fθ = 3 kg(0.5t(.75) + 2(0.5)(0.75t))
Fθ = 3.375t

Now if Fr = -T then I can substitute -T for Fr. Therefore
T = 0.844t3

I'm not sure where to go after this one.. I need to somehow solve for t I know that but I'm just not sure because I have two equations and three unknowns.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for posting your problem on the forum. I would like to offer some suggestions for solving this problem.

Firstly, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem statement. From the given information, we know that the collar B is sliding on the frictionless arm AA' and that the arm-drum assembly is rotating at a constant rate. The collar is also moving outward from O with a constant speed of 0.5 m/s. We are asked to determine the time at which the tension in the cord is equal to the magnitude of the horizontal force exerted on B by the arm AA'.

Based on the given information, we can write the following equations:

ƩF = ma (Newton's second law)
Fr = -T (equilibrium condition for the collar B)
Fθ = maθ (Newton's second law in the tangential direction)

We can also use the given information to determine the values of the variables at t = 0:

r = 0 (initial position of the collar)
dr/dt = 0.5 m/s (constant speed of the collar)
dθ/dt = 0.75 rad/s (constant angular velocity)

To solve for the time t, we need to find a relationship between the tension T and the horizontal force exerted on the collar by the arm AA'. We can do this by equating the equations for Fr and Fθ:

Fr = Fθ
- T = maθ
- T = 3 kg (r(dθ/dt)2 - d2r/dt2)
- T = 3 kg (0.5t(0.75t)2 - 0)
- T = 0.844t3

Now, we can use this equation to solve for t when T = Fθ:

0.844t3 = 3.375t
t = (3.375/0.844)1/2
t = 1.69 s

Therefore, the time at which the tension in the cord is equal to the magnitude of the horizontal force exerted on the collar by the arm AA' is 1.69 seconds.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the difference between radial and transverse forces?

Radial forces are directed towards or away from the center of rotation, while transverse forces act perpendicular to the direction of motion.

2. How do you calculate radial and transverse forces?

To calculate radial forces, use the equation F = mω^2r, where m is the mass, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the distance from the center of rotation. To calculate transverse forces, use the equation F = ma, where m is the mass and a is the acceleration.

3. What is the significance of radial and transverse forces in circular motion?

Radial forces are responsible for keeping objects in circular motion by providing the necessary centripetal force. Transverse forces can affect the speed and direction of the object's motion.

4. How can you determine the direction of radial and transverse forces?

Radial forces always point towards the center of rotation, while transverse forces are perpendicular to the velocity vector of the object.

5. Can radial and transverse forces act simultaneously on an object?

Yes, it is possible for an object to experience both a radial and transverse force at the same time. This is often the case in circular motion, where the object experiences a radial force towards the center of rotation and a transverse force perpendicular to its motion.