1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radial and Transverse Forces Beer and Johnston 9th ed. 12.70

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The 3 kg collar B slides on the frictionless arm AA'. The arm is attached to drum D and rotates about O in a horizontal plane at the rate dθ/dt = 0.75t, where dθ/dt and t are expressed in rad/s and seconds, respectively. As the arm-drum assembly rotates, a mechanism within the drum releases cord so that the collar moves outward from O with a constant speed of 0.5 m/s. Knowing that at t = 0, r = 0, determine the time at which the tension in the cord is equal to the magnitude of the horizontal force exerted on B by arm AA'.

2. Relevant equations

Fr = m(d2θ/dt2 - r(dθ/dt)2)
    Fθ = m(rd2θ/dt2 + 2(dr/dt)(dθ/dt))
    ƩF = ma

3. The attempt at a solution

Fr = -T
    r = (0.5 m/s)t
    dr/dt = 0.5 m/s
    d2r/dt = 0 m/s2
    dθ/dt = (0.75 m/s)t
    d2θ/dt = 0.75 m/s2

Fr = 3 kg(0 - 0.5t(0.75t)2)
    Fr = -0.844t3

Fθ = 3 kg(0.5t(.75) + 2(0.5)(0.75t))
    Fθ = 3.375t

Now if Fr = -T then I can substitute -T for Fr. Therefore
    T = 0.844t3

I'm not sure where to go after this one.. I need to somehow solve for t I know that but I'm just not sure because I have two equations and three unknowns.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?