Can an Atom's Valence Electrons Be Used as a Radial Antenna?

In summary: However, if you have an atom with a well-defined charge distribution, then you can create an isotropic antenna by using a circularly polarized photon.
SirR3D
As any RF engineer knows the radial antenna is something pure theoretical. But as someone who loves physics an idea came to my mind. Please tell me if this would work and if not, why does it fail to work.
So: Assuming we have an atom with 8 valence electrons which is hit with 8 photons with enough energy to boost the electrons to the next energy level. These electron packs are sent at ~ 10kHz. When the electrons fill the s and p orbitals of the next energy level ( which are pretty symmetrical on all 3 axes ) they move further away from the protons therefor less of the electrostatic field locks in a dipole manner and more of it gets radiated radially away from the atom.
Now considering the closed Gaussian surface of maxwell's first equation a sphere we would observe that at the point in time in which the electrons are excited there is a E field, while they are not (when the photon is re-emitted) the E field is much lower, therefor we observe an electron radially spreading RADIO spectrum EM waves (~10kHz).
I also considered how the quantum numbers may come in play, but I can't figure any real contribution they would make in this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
SirR3D said:
they move further away from the protons therefor less of the electrostatic field locks in a dipole manner and more of it gets radiated radially away from the atom.
I don't think that makes sense.

You can emit radiation with the same expected power everywhere, but then you have some probabilistic process in it. Changing charge distributions that are spherically symmetric do not radiate at all.

Likes SirR3D
mfb said:
I don't think that makes sense.

You can emit radiation with the same expected power everywhere, but then you have some probabilistic process in it. Changing charge distributions that are spherically symmetric do not radiate at all.

Yes you are right. I feel foolish for not realizing this from the start. Thanks for your time. So there is no way to make an isotropic antenna? I was also thinking of a magnetron with equally spaced resonant cavities positioned normally on a sphere which act like wave guide antennas. But i can't really imagine how to create the interior magnetic field so the electrons from the cathode accelerate uniformly in the interior of the sphere so that no cavity gets more field than another.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no perfectly spherical symmetric radiation that satisfies the Maxwell equations.

Likes bhobba

What is a radial antenna at the atom scale?

A radial antenna at the atom scale is a type of antenna that is used to manipulate and control the behavior of individual atoms. It is a tiny structure made up of nanowires and can be used to trap, move, and measure individual atoms.

How does a radial antenna work?

A radial antenna works by utilizing the principles of electromagnetic radiation. It consists of a central conductor surrounded by multiple smaller conductors, resembling the spokes of a wheel. When a voltage is applied to the central conductor, it creates an electric field that interacts with the surrounding atoms, causing them to move or become polarized.

What are the potential applications of a radial antenna?

A radial antenna has many potential applications, especially in the field of quantum computing. It can be used to manipulate individual atoms, allowing for more precise control and measurement of quantum states. It can also be used in nanoscale sensors and in the development of new materials and devices.

What are the advantages of using a radial antenna at the atom scale?

One of the main advantages of using a radial antenna at the atom scale is its ability to manipulate individual atoms. This level of control is crucial in the development of quantum technologies and can lead to advancements in computing, sensing, and materials science. Additionally, radial antennas are relatively simple to fabricate and can be integrated into existing technologies.

Are there any challenges in using radial antennas at the atom scale?

There are several challenges in using radial antennas at the atom scale. One of the main challenges is the precise fabrication and positioning of the nanowires that make up the antenna. Any imperfections or misalignments can greatly affect the performance of the antenna. Additionally, the interaction between the antenna and the atoms can be influenced by external factors such as temperature and noise, which can also affect its functionality.