Can a Swash Plate Mechanism be Adapted for Radial Displacement Along a Spoke?

In summary, this person is looking for a way to move an object radially along a spoke of a wheel. There are some restrictions which have made them scrap their designs so far, so they're looking for help. They've considered using a differential, a relative change in position between an inner shaft and a sleeve, a swash plate, or a push/pull rods at an angle out radially or another pivot point.
Trakyan
This is a hard one to describe and I couldn't think of a better tittle, sorry.

My aim has been for a while to create a mechanism which allows me to move an object (i.e a washer or something) in or out radially along a spoke of a wheel. However I have some restrictions which have made me scrap my designs so far (most of them involved very complicated mechanisms with lots of moving parts) so I've decided to look for some help.

The mechanism needs to be able to be controlled from off of the axle (it can't be rotating with the spokes, that creates an issue of how you access or actuate the mechanism itself when its spinning with the axle). See the video below for an example.

The design in the video uses a disc with spiral groves which is rotated relative to the axle and that forces the bolts to slide radially outwards. This presents the issue of how do you isolate the movement of the spiral disc from the rotation of the axle?

I've seen designs like this
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/gv95ipcvuvvgpxoi8pm2.jpg
which use a scissor jack like design. The issue this presents though is that the device takes up a lot of space width wise.

The washer/object that slides along the spoke must be able to be held in place by the mechanism to stop it from sliding up or down the spoke to a new position.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Trakyan said:
This is a hard one to describe and I couldn't think of a better tittle, sorry.

My aim has been for a while to create a mechanism which allows me to move an object (i.e a washer or something) in or out radially along a spoke of a wheel. However I have some restrictions which have made me scrap my designs so far (most of them involved very complicated mechanisms with lots of moving parts) so I've decided to look for some help.

The mechanism needs to be able to be controlled from off of the axle (it can't be rotating with the spokes, that creates an issue of how you access or actuate the mechanism itself when its spinning with the axle). See the video below for an example.

The design in the video uses a disc with spiral groves which is rotated relative to the axle and that forces the bolts to slide radially outwards. This presents the issue of how do you isolate the movement of the spiral disc from the rotation of the axle?

I've seen designs like this
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/gv95ipcvuvvgpxoi8pm2.jpg
which use a scissor jack like design. The issue this presents though is that the device takes up a lot of space width wise.

The washer/object that slides along the spoke must be able to be held in place by the mechanism to stop it from sliding up or down the spoke to a new position.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

A differential can solve this issue. A relative change in position between an inner shaft and a sleeve would actuate the motion desired. The differential would hold the relative speed between the inner shaft and outer sleeve at zero. You would move the last part of the differential to vary the relative position of the inner shaft and outer sleeve. Make sense?

Trakyan said:
to create a mechanism which allows me to move an object (i.e a washer or something) in or out radially along a spoke of a wheel.
We need more information:
1.Is there just one washer, or many on one, or on many spokes?
2.The technique used to hold the washer to the spoke will depend on the maximum RPM, and what it is doing there. What does it do on the spoke?
3.Are your spokes round wires like most bicycle spokes, or plastic or cast alloy?

I would consider an internally sprung unit that self locks to the spoke. Pressing either side unlocks it and permits it to move along the spoke. A fixed diagonal arm with adjustable radial position can then sweep a washer to the radius required. A “Gripple” or “Fastlink Wire Joiner” has two internal spring loaded clutches or wedges. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gripple

If the spoke was threaded, the washer could be a nut. Friction to the nut on one side of the wheel will move it outwards, on the other it would move it inwards.

My first though was a swash plate, similar to a helicopter rotor. But with the push/pull rods at an angle out radially or another pivot point changing the direction of motion outward.

1. What is a radial displacement mechanism?

A radial displacement mechanism is a mechanical device that converts rotational motion into linear motion, or vice versa. It typically consists of a rotating element, such as a crank or gear, and a sliding element, such as a piston or rod, that moves in a radial direction.

2. What are the applications of radial displacement mechanisms?

Radial displacement mechanisms are used in a variety of applications, including engines, pumps, compressors, and other mechanical systems that require linear motion to be generated from rotational motion.

3. How does a radial displacement mechanism work?

The rotating element of a radial displacement mechanism causes the sliding element to move in a radial direction, typically by converting the circular motion of the rotating element into linear motion through the use of gears, cams, or other mechanisms.

4. What are the advantages of using a radial displacement mechanism?

Radial displacement mechanisms offer several advantages, such as compact size, high power transmission, and precise control of linear motion. They also eliminate the need for complex mechanical linkages, making them more reliable and efficient.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using a radial displacement mechanism?

One disadvantage of radial displacement mechanisms is their relatively high cost, as they often require precision machining and specialized components. They also have limited range of motion and may require regular maintenance to ensure proper functioning.