1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radial Electric Field Conceptual

1. Sep 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Carefully study the following plot of electric field E in N/C versus distance r in m and answer the questions that follow. The electric field is directed radially outward, and the variation of E with r is independent of direction. [/b]
    Efield.jpg
    For each statement, select "True" or "False".[/b]
    The work done by you to bring a point negative charge from infinity to A is positive.[/b]
    The Electric field falls off as 1/r for r greater than R.[/b]
    The force on a negative charge placed at A points radially towards the origin.[/b]
    All points at a given distance 'd' from the origin are at the same electrostatic potential.[/b]
    The above electric field could be that due to a negatively charged spherical shell.[/b]
    The electric potential is constant for r less than R. [/b]

2. Relevant equations
    Va-Vb=∫Edl
    E=Kq/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    First i figured that since the electric field is point outward the the charge must be positive to accelerate positive charges outward.[/b]
    Therefore the work to bring a negative charge from infinity to the origin would be positive the force is "pulling the negative charge in towards the origin.[/b]
    It sure looks like the graph has a 1/r curve after r > R.[/b]
    If the electric field points outward then a negative charge would accelerate inward. therefore the force on the negative charge is inward.[/b]
    I thought about the equi-potential line at 'd' the voltage should be the same at any point at the same distance away from the charge.[/b]
    The electric field could not be due to a negative charge, If it were the E-Field would point in instead of out.[/b]
    Since electric field is the derivative of Electric Potential and the E-Field is zero for the given range the potential must be constant.

Where am i going astray here? I was given the hint: "Remember that the Electric Field is the negative spatial derivative of the potential. Look up the definition of electric potential and work done against an electric field. "

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted