Can a Custom Radial Fan Lift a Human-Transporting VTOL Drone?

In summary, the speaker is trying to determine if a costume made radial fan can provide enough thrust to lift a 150-200 kg load for a VTOL drone they are producing. They are seeking comments and advice on this design issue. However, it is mentioned that the drone is intended for human transport, which may pose liability issues and the thread is now closed.
marcoravelli
due to a design issue I'm trying to figur out whether i can get enough thrust to lift a 150-200 kg
using some costume made radial fan instead of the usual propellers for a little vtol drone I'm willing to produce.
any comment will be much appreciate.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
marcoravelli said:
due to a design issue I'm trying to figur out whether i can get enough thrust to lift a 150-200 kg
using some costume made radial fan instead of the usual propellers for a little vtol drone I'm willing to produce.
any comment will be much appreciate.
Thanks.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What kind of loads will this drone be carrying?

Likes marcoravelli
it is ment to be a human transport

marcoravelli said:
it is ment to be a human transport
I was afraid of that. For liability reasons, we won't be able to help you with this project. Thread is closed.

Likes marcoravelli

1. What is the main difference between a radial fan and an axial propeller?

A radial fan moves air perpendicular to the axis of rotation, while an axial propeller moves air parallel to the axis of rotation. This means that a radial fan is better suited for pushing air through a system, while an axial propeller is more efficient at moving large volumes of air in a single direction.

2. Which type of fan is more commonly used in industrial applications?

Radial fans are more commonly used in industrial applications because they are able to generate higher pressures and are better suited for ventilation and cooling systems.

3. What are the advantages of a radial fan compared to an axial propeller?

Some advantages of a radial fan include its ability to create higher pressures, its versatility in being able to handle different types of gases, and its ability to handle high temperatures and corrosive environments.

4. When would an axial propeller be a better choice than a radial fan?

An axial propeller would be a better choice when moving large volumes of air in a single direction is the main priority, such as in cooling large industrial spaces or in wind tunnels.

5. Can a radial fan and an axial propeller be used together in a system?

Yes, they can be used together in a system. In fact, many industrial systems use a combination of both types of fans to achieve optimal air flow and pressure levels.