1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radial probability density

1. Oct 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the probability that the electron in the ground state of a hydrogen atom is in the region 0 < r < 3.75a0.

2. Relevant equations

a0=.0529 nm

P(r)=4(Z/a0)^3*r^2*e^(-2Zr/a0)

3. The attempt at a solution

I am confused because I am not sure if I am supposed to use 3.75a0 as my radius. I guess I am not supposed to since I did that and got it wrong. I cannot figure out what else to do. However, I have also seen the probability density written as:

P(r)[tex]\Delta[/tex]r=[4(Z/a0)^3*r^2*e^(-2Zr/a0)][tex]\Delta[/tex]r

If this is the correct formula, I am not sure what to use for delta r.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't use dr. This is a volume integral in radial symmetry. You use dV = 4πr2dr. You carry the integral from lower limit r = 0 to upper limit r = 3.75a0.

4. Oct 13, 2009 #3
    Okay I do that and I get a volume of 9.81e-29m^3. How do I get this into a probability function?

5. Oct 13, 2009 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You misunderstood what I said. The integral includes the probability density so that

[tex]P=\int \psi^*\psi\; 4\pi r^2 dr[/tex]

6. Oct 13, 2009 #5
    Okay. Gotcha. Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook