1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radial Schrödinger Equation

1. Dec 11, 2009 #1
    Sorry in advance my english, I tried to translate it to english as good as I can

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

When [tex]l[/tex] has its maximum value, the hydrogen atom radial equation has a simple form of

R(r) = Arn-1e-r/na0, where a0 is Bohr's radius.

Write the respective radial schrödinger equation.

2. Relevant equations

Radial Schrödinger Equation:
    [tex]-\frac{\hbar^2}{2*\mu*r^2}*\frac{d}{dr}(r^2*\frac{dR(r)}{dr})+\left[-\frac{kZe^2}{r}+\frac{\hbar^2*l(l+1)}{2*\mu*r^2}\right]*R(r) = ER(r)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I've attempted substituting the given R(r) to the radial equation, but I cant get anything out of it that makes sense. Too long to write it here with this hard latex thing :S

Should I get some nice reduced form or can I expect some equation monster?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2009 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your translation is very good!:smile:

This is the key assumption in the problem statement....What is the maximum value of [itex]l[/itex] for any given value of [itex]n[/itex] (remember, only certain values are allowed)?....Substitute that into your radial Schroedinger equation (along with the given function [itex]R(r)[/itex]).

4. Dec 12, 2009 #3
    Thanks for answer!
    The maximum value of [itex]l[/itex] is [itex]n-1[/itex] right?
    I tried to substitute it but it doesnt get much prettier :)

I'm doing the math with Maple here, and it freaks me out to even think that I should be able to do it without computer, which is the case actually...That's why I think I'm doing something wrong, maybe I understand the equation wrong or something.

Here's a screenshot of my maple session (left side of the equation)
    http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/5863/tryw.jpg [Broken]

If I count the right side in too, I can reduce the Arn-1e-r/na0 term from both sides but still I'm not so sure about it
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Dec 12, 2009 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You also have an equation for Bohr's radius [itex]a_0[/itex] right?...And [itex]Z=[/itex]____ for the Hydrogen atom?

When you substitute these things in, you should get a lot of terms canceling each-other out.
  6. Dec 12, 2009 #5
    aaah the bohr radius equation, didnt even think about it :)
    (and Z=1 ofcourse)

the next part of the question was to prove that the given R(r) is the solution to the schrödinger equation with [itex]l=0[/itex], and I got it right now with that bohr radius tip you gave! :)
    [tex]- \frac{1}{2} \frac{k^{2}e^{4}\mu}{\hbar ^{2}} = E[/tex]

But with [itex]l=n-1[/itex] I still get horrible monster equations...*cry* nothing seems to cancel out

there must be something I'm doing wrong since I cant be expected to do that kind of differentations without computer in a 2 hour exam !! No human could do it right! :D
    (this is an old exam question)
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  7. Dec 12, 2009 #6
    Aaah I got it!
    0 = 0 finally :)
    There was some silly mistake in the equation.

The derivation is still inhumane to do with pen and paper though :)

Thanks much gabbagabbahey!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook